US senator introduces bill to punish body-scan pics distributorsDecember 6th, 2010 - 7:52 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 6 (ANI): US Senator Charles Schumer has introduced a bill that would make it a crime to illegally distribute or record revealing images produced by full-body scanners at airports.
According to the New York Post, anyone found guilty could face a year in prison and fined up to 100,000 dollars, or both.
“Anyone who would try to use these images for purposes other than security, should be severely punished,” Schumer added.
On being asked what he thought about the scanners, Schumer said he did not oppose their use, adding: “You need to balance security and privacy.”
Many security experts have suggested that a full-body scanner would have seen the explosive that, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, who attempted to blow up a transatlantic jet on Christmas Day, had stitched into his underwear.
The scanners were recently unveiled at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport to help security officials to better detect weapons and explosives.
The Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) machines give screeners an X-ray-like image beneath clothing to look for dangerous materials, including plastics. It can easily spot any non-metal objects hidden on the passenger’s body that would not be detected by the old-style scanners. (ANI)
- US expert hits back at claims of 'safe' full-body airport scanners - Nov 12, 2010
- 'Full-body scanners' unveiled at New York's JFK Airport - Oct 23, 2010
- New York airports to install full-body scanners - Aug 07, 2010
- US Sikhs decry turban screening at airports - Nov 07, 2010
- Trials of full-body scanners at Delhi airport from May - Feb 03, 2010
- Underwear to shield vital parts from full-body scanners - Mar 16, 2011
- Barack Obama Asserts That The TSA's Pat-Downs Are Invasive But Necessary To Attain Security - Nov 21, 2010
- 'Genitalia-revealing scanners' cause uproar in US over 'stored images' - Aug 11, 2010
- EU adopts new rules on airport body scanners - Nov 15, 2011
- Detroit plotter Abdulmutallab pleads not guilty in court - Jan 09, 2010
- Netherlands to introduce full-body scanners at airports - Dec 30, 2009
- Passenger strips to avoid 'naked scanner' - Nov 22, 2010
- 20 more terrorists trained in Yemen for attacks: Report - Jan 10, 2010
- UK airports given green light for full-body scans - Jan 04, 2010
- Muslim-American body issues fatwa against airport body scanners - Feb 12, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,