US Senate committee clears 1.5 B dollar per year aid for PakistanJune 17th, 2009 - 12:32 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 17 (ANI): The US Senate’s Foreign Relations Committee has passed a bill that allows Pakistan to receive 1.5 billion dollars non-military assistance every year for the next five years.
The bill, which is titled as the ‘Enhanced Partnership with Pakistan Act of 2009′, was passed Tuesday by a 16 to 0 vote.
The Senate version of the bill has a much more lenient view towards Pakistan with regard to accountability, transparency and oversight of the US aid on Pakistan. It permits the Obama Administration to take a final call on these aspects.
The House of Representatives version, on the other hand, has strictures placed on Pakistan with regard to that country’s fight against terrorism and non-proliferation.
The Obama administration has objected to the House Bill on grounds that the strictures imposed on Islamabad could backfire on Washington’s global surge against terrorism.
The Kerry-Lugar Bill (named after Democrat John Kerry and Republican Richard Lugar) will now go to the Senate floor. Once the bill is passed by the Senate, the members of the two Chamber of the Congress — the House of Representatives and the Senate — would go into a conference to club both the versions of the bill into one. (ANI)
- US holding back economic aid to Pakistan - Mar 03, 2011
- US mission to visit Pak to identify areas of fund utilization - Sep 26, 2009
- India is worst victim of terrorism: US lawmaker - Jul 08, 2009
- Obama signs K-L Bill amid Pak rejection of 'explanatory note' - Oct 16, 2009
- Probe into Kerry-Lugar funds' embezzlement by NGOs in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2010
- Kerry calls for tight check on Pak non-military aid fearing rampant govt corruption - May 28, 2010
- Never received any complaint from Pak regarding access to military aid: US - Jul 04, 2010
- Kerry Lugar Bill 'conditions' were drafted with Pak Army's acquiescence: Berman - Oct 10, 2009
- US House approves $1.5 bn aid for Pakistan tied to fighting terror - Dec 11, 2009
- US Senate approves enhanced aid bill for Pakistan worth 1.5 billion dollars - Jun 17, 2009
- Pak has not received 'a single penny' under Kerry Lugar bill so far: Qureshi - Jan 30, 2010
- Pak's US aid to be delayed by over a month - Apr 02, 2009
- Kerry announces $200 mn aid for flood-hit Pakistan - Aug 19, 2010
- US says Kerry-Lugar Bill will be approved by September - Aug 29, 2009
- US allocates 1.5 billion dollars for Pak in 2010 budget - Dec 11, 2009
Tags: accountability, billion dollars, democrat, final call, foreign relations committee, global surge, house of representatives, john kerry, military assistance, next five years, non proliferation, oversight, republican, richard lugar, senate committee, senate floor, senate version, strictures, transparency, us senate