US seeks to convince nations to recognize Kosovo: BushJuly 22nd, 2008 - 9:15 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 22 (DPA) US President George W. Bush said he would continue to pressure more countries to recognize Kosovo as an independent state after a meeting with its leaders Monday. Bush also said he opposed a further divide of Kosovo along ethnic lines, as he welcomed President Fatmir Sejdiu and Prime Minister Hashim Thaci to the White House for the first time since Kosovo declared independence from Serbia in February.
“I’m a strong supporter of Kosovo’s independence. I’m against any partition of Kosovo,” Bush said after the meeting.
Serbia, backed by Russia, has strongly opposed Kosovo’s independence and voiced a particular claim to the ethnic-Serb dominated northern region. About 40 countries have recognized Kosovo, including the US and most of Europe.
“I pledged that the United States would continue to work with those nations that have not recognized an independent Kosovo to convince them to do so as quickly as possible,” Bush said.
Sejdiu offered his “heartfelt thanks” to the US for supporting Kosovo’s independence and transition to a fully-fledged democracy, and renewed his commitment to protecting minorities.
“Kosovo will be a country of democracy, a country of all its citizens. It will have a special respect for the minorities,” Sejdiu said, speaking through a translator.
- Kosovo President Sejdiu resigns after violating constitution - Sep 28, 2010
- Kosovo secession legal, rules International Court of Justice - Jul 23, 2010
- Bill Clinton honoured by grateful Kosovo - Nov 02, 2009
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- U.S. congratulates Kosovo on independence day, praises development - Feb 17, 2010
- Kosovo parliament adopts constitution - Apr 09, 2008
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- EU welcomes establishment of new government in Kosovo - Feb 24, 2011
- Kosovo PM, one of the 'biggest fish' in organized crime: NATO document - Jan 25, 2011
- Expert finds Bush's memoir faulty over 'UN resolution' explanation on Iraq war - Dec 28, 2010
- Kosovo parliament to adopt new constitution Wednesday - Apr 09, 2008
- India not to recognize Kosovo - Aug 09, 2010
- Clinton says diplomacy with Iran not infinite - Apr 05, 2012
- Kosovo passes new constitution amid uncertainty over its future - Jun 16, 2008
- UN may remain for limited duration: Kosovo president - Jun 17, 2008
Tags: citizens, democracy, dpa, ethnic lines, george w bush, hashim, heartfelt thanks, independent kosovo, independent state, kosovo, minorities, partition, president fatmir sejdiu, president george w bush, prime minister, serb, serbia, translator, us president george, white house