US seeks EU sanctions to force Iran back into talksJanuary 21st, 2012 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US expects the European Union (EU) to take steps to pressure Iran back into negotiations on its controversial nuclear activity, said Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
“We have a very strong partnership with the EU, and we expect to see the EU taking some additional steps to keep the pressure on Iran in the coming days,” Clinton said during a news conference with her German colleague Guido Westerwelle.
The statement came as the EU is expected to impose tough new sanctions on Tehran Monday, banning the import of Iranian oil.
Of some 2.2. million barrels of Iranian daily oil exports, 18 percent is bound for European markets, according to the US Energy Information Administration. Oil exports make up some 60 percent of the Tehran’s revenues.
Iran’s continuing “pursuit of nuclear weapons,” as well as “needless provocations” such as the threats to block the strategic Straits of Hormuz, place the Islamic Republic on a “dangerous path,” said Clinton.
“Iran does have a choice to make,” she said. “It can come back to the table… and address the nuclear programme concerns that the international community rightly has or face increasing pressure and isolation.”
“I want to underscore, we do not seek conflict,” she added. “We strongly believe the people of Iran deserve a better future.”
Western nations suspect Iran, which is already under numerous international sanctions, of pursuing a secret nuclear weapons programme but Tehran insists it needs nuclear power solely for civilian purposes.
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- 'EU sanctions on Iran may push oil prices to $150' - Jan 30, 2012
- New Iran sanctions not to disrupt oil markets: US - Feb 03, 2012
- Iran denies Greece 500,000 barrels of oil - Feb 26, 2012
- Israel to use all means to stop Iran's nuclear programme - Feb 16, 2012
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- Clinton visit: India to juggle ties with US, Iran - May 05, 2012
- Iran to shut Hormuz Strait if threatened: Officials - Jul 07, 2012
- Iran may ban import of all European goods - Jan 29, 2012
- Moscow urges Iran to respond to IAEA concerns - Feb 27, 2012
- Iran to file complaint against US, EU over sanctions - Jul 30, 2012
- Iran unveils nuclear achievements, cuts oil exports (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran oil exports to South Korea up 48 percent - Jan 10, 2012
- Egypt to continue transporting Iran oil - Jul 16, 2012
- Iran talks resume in Baghdad - May 24, 2012
Tags: civilian purposes, dangerous path, energy information administration, eu sanctions, european markets, german colleague, guido westerwelle, hellip, hillary clinton, international sanctions, iranian oil, jan 21, news conference, nuclear activity, nuclear power, nuclear weapons, oil exports, provocations, ria novosti, tehran