US sanctions against Russian arms exporterOctober 24th, 2008 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 24 (RIA Novosti) The US has imposed sanctions against the Russian state-run arms exporter, Rosoboronexport, for what Washington called proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.Sanctions were also imposed on the same grounds against Venezuela, China, North and South Korea, the United Arab Emirates, Sudan, and Syria, as well as the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guards.
The sanctions are valid for two years and bar any US aid, contracts or arms sales to the blacklisted entities.
The order was signed on Oct 16 and came into effect Thursday.
A Rosoboronexport representative called the sanctions a “manifestation of unethical competition.”
“We view the imposition of sanctions with regard to the sole Russian facilitator of arms sales as a manifestation of unethical competition,” said Vyacheslav Davydenko.
In July and December 2006, the US also imposed sanctions on Rosoboronexport for allegedly passing on equipment to Iran that could be used to develop weapons of mass destruction.
- Russia criticises US sanctions against Russian arms exporter (Lead) - Oct 24, 2008
- US senators seek sanctions on Russian firm - Mar 13, 2012
- Russia, US sign deal to send choppers to Afghanistan - May 28, 2011
- US buys 10 Russian choppers for Afghanistan - Jun 14, 2012
- No choppers on board ships to Syria: Russia - Jul 14, 2012
- Exclude Russia from arms show: Human Rights Watch to France - Jun 10, 2012
- US breaks Pentagon-Russian arms exporter ties - Jul 20, 2012
- Russia's arms sales may increase by 12 percent in 2010 - Apr 21, 2010
- US sanctions 13 firms for supplying arms to rogue nations - Oct 25, 2008
- US imposes sanctions over 50 Iranian entities - Jul 13, 2012
- US sanctions 10 Iran shipping firms, including India JV - Dec 21, 2011
- N-armed Pakistan, Iran threat to Russia - May 04, 2012
- US exploring new sanctions against Syria - Apr 26, 2011
- Russia to continue arms supplies to Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia vows to scrap chemical weapons soon - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: davydenko, proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, revolutionary guards, ria novosti, rosoboronexport, russian arms, russian state, united arab emirates, vyacheslav, weapons of mass destruction