US, Russia to continue missile defence talksAugust 9th, 2011 - 7:41 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 9 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US and Russia will continue talks on the issue of a proposed European missile shield in St. Petersburg (Aug 11-12), the US Department of State has said.
Ellen Tauscher, the US under secretary of state for arms Cntrol and International Security, will meet with chief Russian negotiator on the issue, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov.
“Tauscher is scheduled to meet with her Russian colleague Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov. They will continue talks on missile defence cooperation,” a state department official told RIA Novosti.
Russia and NATO have agreed at a Russia-NATO summit in Lisbon in November 2010 to work on the missile shield but NATO wants it to be based on two independent systems that exchange information, while Russia favours a joint system with full-scale interoperability.
Russia has retained staunch opposition to the planned deployment of US missile defence systems near its borders, claiming they would be a security threat.
NATO and the US insist that the shield would defend NATO members against missiles from North Korea and Iran and would not be directed at Russia.
Moscow wants legally binding guarantees that NATO missile defence systems will not be directed against it.
The European missile shield issue is widely considered a tester for the future of Russian-US relations, especially in light with the upcoming general and presidential elections in both the countries.
- US not cooperating with Russia on missile defence: Minister - Sep 04, 2011
- Russia expects US compromise on missile defense - Oct 27, 2011
- NATO commander to talk Euro missile shield in Moscow - Oct 10, 2011
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile defence - Nov 11, 2011
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile issue at G8 summit - May 16, 2011
- Moscow wants missile defence talks at NATO summit - Mar 06, 2012
- Russia tests interceptor missile - Dec 21, 2011
- Russia outlines its vision of European missile shield - Apr 29, 2011
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
- US ready to provide Russia with missile shield details - Nov 21, 2011
- Russia-NATO missile shield talks stalled ahead of 2012 summit - Oct 31, 2011
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Russia, NATO to hold missile defence drills - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: defence cooperation, defence systems, ellen tauscher, favours, foreign minister, independent systems, international security, missile defence, missile shield, nato members, nato missile, nato summit, negotiator, north korea, presidential elections, ria novosti russia, russia moscow, russian deputy, security threat, us department of state