US, Russia continue Syria discussionsJune 15th, 2012 - 12:25 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US and Russia are continuing discussions on a post-Assad transition strategy despite some disagreements on approaches to the settlement of a political crisis in Syria, according to the US State Department.
US Deputy State Secretary Robert Burns met with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov Thursday on the sidelines of the Hearts of Asia ministerial meeting in Kabul to discuss a wide range of issues, including the situation in Syria.
“It was a constructive conversation. I won’t say there aren’t still gaps. There are still gaps, but it was a constructive conversation. And we’re continuing to talk to the Russians about this [crisis in Syria],” State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said at a news briefing Thursday.
Russia has twice — along with China — vetoed UN resolutions against Damascus over what it calls a pro-rebel bias, but has, however, fully backed UN-Arab envoy Kofi Annan’s six-point plan.
Annan’s plan calls for withdrawal of heavy weaponry from urban areas and a ceasefire to end 15-months of spiralling violence there.
According to UN estimates, over 10,000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of a popular uprising against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011.
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- 'No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China' - Apr 28, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil conflict: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil war: Russia - Apr 21, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- More attacks in Syria after arrival of UN observers: Assad - May 17, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Russia denies changing its stance on Syria - Jun 22, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: 15 months, bashar al assad, ceasefire, damascus, deputy state, disagreements, hearts of asia, kofi annan, news briefing, political crisis, president bashar, ria novosti, robert burns, secretary robert, sergei lavrov, state secretary, transition strategy, us state department, victoria nuland, weaponry