US returns stolen historical documents to RussiaFebruary 26th, 2011 - 1:02 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US Friday returned to Russia 21 historical documents that were recovered by authorities after being smuggled from Russia to America.The documents, which were stolen from Russian national archives in Moscow and St. Petersburg between 1994 and 2002, include two decrees signed by Catherine the Great and a decree and an award signed by the last tsar, Nicholas II.
After handing over the documents to Russian authorities at a ceremony in Moscow, US Ambassador to Russia John Beyrle told Russian and US officials that the return of the documents marked the end of a detective story on two continents.
“Today we celebrate a success in the battle against the theft and smuggling of cultural and historical artefacts, and a success in our effort to build a closer and more productive relationship between Russia and the United States,” the ambassador said.
Russian Deputy Culture Minister Andrei Gagarin said it was right that the priceless documents should return home. He said the event was a result of improved ties between Russia and the US fostered by Presidents Dmitry Medvedev and Barack Obama.
Russian officials say 2,500 documents were stolen by Ze’ev Feinman, a Russian antiquarian who now has Israeli citizenship.
- Russia, US may not agree on missile defence in Obama's tenure: US envoy - May 28, 2011
- Russia, US to have three-year multiple entry visa soon - May 28, 2011
- Gagarin's daughter wants to register his trademark - Feb 01, 2011
- Russia, US to sign visa simplification agreement soon - Jun 17, 2011
- Russia printing Syrian currency - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia seeks 900 stolen artworks via Interpol - Dec 29, 2011
- Sotheby's sells pre-Gagarin spacecraft for $2.8 million - Apr 13, 2011
- Russia, North Korea mark 63rd anniversary of diplomatic ties - Oct 20, 2011
- Gagarin statue unveiled in London - Jul 14, 2011
- Russia seeks extradition of arms dealer from US - Aug 23, 2012
- Cambodian vessel detained in Russia for poaching - Jul 25, 2011
- 'US to remain priority in Russian foreign policy' - Feb 22, 2012
- Putin warns against bypassing UNSC Syria veto - Jul 21, 2012
- Russia, US hold war games - Jun 01, 2012
- Medvedev declares June 6 as Russian Language Day - Jun 06, 2011
Tags: barack obama, culture minister, detective story, feinman, gagarin, historical documents, israeli citizenship, medvedev, moscow and st petersburg, priceless documents, productive relationship, ria novosti, russia and the united states, russia moscow, russian authorities, russian deputy, russian officials, tsar nicholas ii, two continents, us ambassador to russia