US report puts India under watch for human traffickingJune 17th, 2009 - 5:00 pm ICT by ANI
Washington June 17(ANI): A US report on global human trafficking has placed India in tier 2 watch list of countries.
The report that was released by the Secretary of State Hillary Clinton expressed its unhappiness over the failure of Indian authorities to curb human smuggling.
The 2009 Trafficking in Persons, report observed that in recent years, there has been an increase of sex trafficking to sub cities and India is a destination for women and girls from Nepal and Bangladesh for the purpose of commercial sexual exploitation.
The report also says that, India does not fully comply with the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking. It also says that India is making significant efforts to control it.
Despite the efforts put by the Indian Government, there was no sufficient progress in its law enforcement to address human trafficking, the report observed.
The report also mentions that, the Indian labours who migrate willingly to Middle East, Europe, and the US in search of work as domestic servants and un skilled labourers, are becoming the victims of labour trafficking.(ANI)
- India is a source, destination and transit country for human trafficking: US report - Jun 17, 2009
- US puts India on trafficking watch list for 7th year - Jun 14, 2010
- US asks India to make strong anti-trafficking law - Jun 20, 2012
- US places India on watch list on human trafficking - Jun 17, 2009
- India not doing enough to combat 'modern slavery': US report (Lead) - Jun 17, 2009
- US report highlights trafficking in India - Jun 28, 2011
- India biggest market for trafficked Nepali women - Jun 17, 2009
- Nepal's growing pornography trade preys on women - Jun 16, 2010
- 'Economic activities behind spurt in human trafficking' - Jul 11, 2012
- India unconcerned over US report on human smuggling: Chidambaram - Jul 08, 2009
- India ratifies UN Convention against Organised Crime - May 13, 2011
- 'Australia a source and destination for human trafficking for sexual servitude' - Jun 18, 2010
- From Kamathipura to meet Clinton: A Nepali woman's long march (Feature, with image) - Jul 10, 2011
- Policy needed for South Asian women migrants, says UN report - Jun 04, 2012
- BSF, Bangladesh border guards to discuss trans-border issues - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: bangladesh, commercial sexual exploitation, domestic servants, east europe, hillary clinton, human smuggling, human trafficking, indian authorities, indian government, labour, labourers, law enforcement, list of countries, middle east, nepal, secretary of state, sex trafficking, tier 2 watch list, trafficking in persons, unhappiness