US renovates schools in former LTTE areaJanuary 15th, 2009 - 5:09 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Jan 15 (IANS) The US is rehabilitating seven schools and a hospital in eastern Sri Lanka in a bid to improve the lives of people hit by the ethnic conflict, it was announced Thursday.This would be done through the US Agency for International Development (USAID) and the US Pacific Command. Five of the schools are in Trincomalee district and the hospital and two schools are in Batticaloa district.
The chosen areas were once held by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
An embassy statement said American officials joined national, provincial and local education and health officials, community leaders, school and hospital staff, students and their families, and local residents this week for the official groundbreaking ceremonies to mark the beginning of the renovation and expansion projects in Trincomalee and Batticaloa.
All projects are scheduled to be completed by July 2009.
The buildings chosen for renovation provide essential social services to civilians whose lives have been repeatedly disrupted by armed hostilities for as long as two decades, the statement said.
- Krishna brings healing touch to Tamils (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- US not for missile base in Trincomalee: Sri Lanka - Jan 21, 2009
- US denies Special Forces are in Sri Lanka - Mar 03, 2012
- Krishna wins Sri Lankan Tamil hearts with rehabilitation aid - Jan 19, 2012
- Sri Lanka to free 1,200 former rebels - Sep 19, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka take ties to new heights (Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- India reassures Sri Lankan Tamils of speedy resettlement - Sep 02, 2010
- Clinton says Sri Lanka reconciliation commision 'holds promise' - May 29, 2010
- India pledges 67 rail buses to Sri Lanka's east - Feb 17, 2009
- US gives more food aid to Sri Lanka - Aug 10, 2009
- Former Tamil chief minister returns to Sri Lanka - after nine years - Apr 07, 2010
- Former rebels, paramilitary troops get aid in Sri Lanka - Mar 09, 2010
- Krishna flies to Jaffna to assist ethnic Tamils - Jan 18, 2012
- Rajapaksa using Sino-Indian rivalry in Sri Lanka: activist - Sep 16, 2010
- India assures Lanka's displaced Tamils of help in resettlement - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: american officials, civilians, community leaders, decades, eastern sri lanka, ethnic conflict, groundbreaking ceremonies, health officials, hospital staff, hostilities, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, local education, renovation, social services, staff students, usaid