US renews 1979 sanctions against IranNovember 8th, 2011 - 1:32 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) US President Barack Obama has renewed the 1979 financial sanctions against Iran, the White House reported.
“Because our relations with Iran have not yet returned to normal, and the process of implementing the agreements with Iran, dated January 19, 1981, is still underway, the national emergency declared on November 14, 1979, must continue in effect beyond November 14, 2011,” Obama said in a notice to Congress Monday.
The decision is technical, as the US president extends the sanctions, introduced after US embassy staff were taken hostage in Tehran in November 1979, every year.
The US and Iran broke off diplomatic ties in 1979, when Iranian students seized the US embassy in Tehran and held 52 US diplomats hostage for 444 days.
In January 1981, the US and Iran signed agreements with Algerian mediation. The agreements were called upon to resolve the crisis with American hostages still held then by Iranians. They also contained a few basic principles to heal the bilateral relations.
The US has since initiated the introduction of international UN Security Council sanctions against Iran.
The West suspects Iran of pursuing a secret nuclear weapons programme, but the Islamic Republic insists it needs nuclear power solely for civilian purposes.
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
- Russia seeks compromise on Iran sanctions - Mar 06, 2012
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran releases students held in British embassy attack - Dec 01, 2011
- EU condemns attacks on Israeli diplomats - Feb 14, 2012
- Britain expels all Iranian diplomats - Dec 01, 2011
- Obama sees no basis for Iranian attack on US - Feb 06, 2012
- April talks last chance for Iran to avoid US attack - Mar 14, 2012
- IAEA inspectors barred from Iranian military site (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Obama extends sanctions against Iran - Mar 14, 2012
- Russia rules out Iran sanctions - Feb 16, 2012
- Iran oil exports to South Korea up 48 percent - Jan 10, 2012
- US sanctions on Iran threaten ties with Russia - Aug 14, 2012
- Moscow urges Iran to respond to IAEA concerns - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: american hostages, barack obama, bilateral relations, civilian purposes, dg, diplomatic ties, diplomats, embassy staff, financial sanctions, hostage, iranian students, iranians, national emergency, november 14, nuclear power, nuclear weapons, ria novosti, sanctions against iran, tehran, un security council