US prosecutors file fresh charges against 9/11 suspectsJune 1st, 2011 - 7:22 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 1 (IANS) US prosecutors have filed new charges against Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001, and four alleged co-conspirators detained at Guantanamo Bay, Xinhua reported.
The charges allege that the five accused were responsible for the planning and execution of the attacks on New York, Washington D.C. and Shanksville, Pa. that occurred Sep 11, 2001, the Pentagon said in a statement Tuesday.
There are eight charges common to all five of the accused: conspiracy, murder in violation of the law of war, attacking civilians, attacking civilian objects, intentionally causing serious bodily injury, destruction of property in violation of the law of war, hijacking aircraft and terrorism.
All five defendants had been charged in military tribunals during President George W. Bush’s administration, but the Obama administration dropped these charges and tried to move the trials into the federal civilian court.
Obama abandoned that effort last month, citing opposition from congressional Republicans. The Republican-controlled House had voted several times to bar or restrict the administration from using any federal funds to transfer detainees from Guantanamo Bay to US civilian courts for trial.
- 9/11 suspects to be arraigned May 5: Pentagon - Apr 10, 2012
- US charges five 9/11 terror suspects - Apr 05, 2012
- Pakistani mastermind of 9/11 charged again - Jun 01, 2011
- Holder blames Congress for forcing 9/11 mastermind, accomplices' trial at Guantanamo Bay - Apr 05, 2011
- Obama orders resumption of Guantanamo trials - Mar 08, 2011
- 9/11 Pakistani mastermind, 4 others sent for trial - Apr 05, 2012
- Obama defends plans to close Guantanamo - Sep 11, 2010
- 9/11 attack mastermind on trial in Guantanamo - May 06, 2012
- Obama admits deadline for closing Guantanamo will be missed - Nov 19, 2009
- No 9/11 accused has gone to the gallows - Sep 10, 2011
- A year later, Obama falters on pledge to shut Guantanamo - Jan 14, 2010
- Obama reverses order halting military trails of Guantanamo detainees - Mar 08, 2011
- Obama administration to continue terrorism trials in civilian court despite criticism - Nov 19, 2010
- Osama bin Laden's former bodyguard to face civilian trial in New York - Jul 14, 2010
- 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed faces New York trial (Second Lead) - Nov 14, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,