U.S. President Obama to visit Indonesia despite volcano threatNovember 8th, 2010 - 10:11 pm ICT by BNO News
JAKARTA (BNO NEWS) — U.S. President Barack Obama is due to arrive on Tuesday for a 24-hour visit to Indonesia as part of a 10-day Asian tour, despite concerns resulting from the ongoing eruptions at Mount Merapi, Indonesian and U.S. officials said on Monday.
Volcanic ash prompted international airlines to cancel dozens of flights to and from Jakarta over the weekend but on Monday, operations at Halim International Airport returned to normal.
The death toll after Mount Merapi’s eruptions rose to 141 on Monday as more bodies, including some from rescuers, were recovered from nearby villages affected by the powerful eruption on Friday.
Obama is expected to depart Palam Air Force Base in New Delhi at approximately 9 a.m. IST on Tuesday, finishing up a three-day visit to India. He is then expected to land at around 4.25 p.m. Indonesian time at Halim International Airport, while accompanied by his wife Michelle.
After an arrival ceremony, Obama will hold a bilateral meeting with Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono. Afterwards both leaders will hold a joint press conference at the State Palace Complex in Jakarta. At 8.30 p.m. local time, Barack and Michelle Obama will attend a state dinner.
After the visit to Indonesia, President Obama on Wednesday will fly to South Korea where the next day he will hold a bilateral meeting with China’s Hu Jintao. On Friday, Obama will participate in the G20 summit.
On Saturday, Obama will fly to Japan where he will participate in the Asian group summit, and will hold bilateral meetings with Japanese and Australian leaders. On Sunday, he will hold a bilateral meeting with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.
- Indonesia, China reach $17 billion cooperation deals - Mar 24, 2012
- Indonesia to buy missiles from US - Aug 27, 2012
- Indonesia and Australia discuss asylum center proposal and drug smugglers' death sentence - Nov 02, 2010
- UN chief to undertake Asia tour - Mar 16, 2012
- ASEAN pledges to cooperate against terrorism - May 09, 2011
- ASEAN Summit begins in Indonesia - Nov 17, 2011
- Thai PM says Cambodian troops must leave border to solve dispute - May 08, 2011
- Indian firms showcase products in Indonesia - Mar 06, 2012
- India, Indonesia upbeat on $25 bn trade by 2015 - Jul 27, 2012
- India to invest $12 billion in Indonesia - Jan 24, 2011
- Indonesia's Merapi death toll rises to 191, international flights again cancelled - Nov 10, 2010
- India, Indonesia sign double tax avoidance pact, set $25 bn trade target (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Indonesian president arrives, $15 bn deals on the way - Jan 24, 2011
- Yudhoyono - a thinking general who is a good administrator - Jan 24, 2011
- Obama again postpones trip to Indonesia, Australia and Guam - Jun 04, 2010
Tags: arrival ceremony, asian tour, australian leaders, barack obama, bilateral meetings, dmitry medvedev, g20 summit, hu jintao, indonesian president, indonesian time, international airlines, michelle obama, mount merapi, nearby villages, palace complex, president susilo bambang yudhoyono, state dinner, susilo bambang yudhoyono, volcanic ash, wife michelle