US pledges $40 mn to Libya for arms stockpile safetyOctober 19th, 2011 - 9:55 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 19 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US will allocate $40 million to secure and destroy stockpiles of weapons in Libya, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said during her visit to Tripoli.
The US top diplomat met with Transitional National Council (TNC) leaders Mahmoud Jibril and Mustafa Abdel Jalil. She was the highest-ranking US official to visit Libya since 2008.
“We will stay focused on security: I am pleased to announce that we are going to put even more money into helping Libya secure and destroy dangerous stockpiles of weapons,” Clinton said. “And the Administration, working with Congress, is going to provide $40 million to support this effort.”
“We will also work with Libya to destroy chemical weapons stocks,” she added.
Upon her arrival to the Libyan capital, Clinton said Washington would spend about $135 million to support Libyan rebel authorities.
The TNC said in May that after three months of the conflict it needed $3 billion toward medical aid, food supplies, and utilities.
Libyan rebels started a six-month military campaign, assisted by NATO, against the Gaddafi regime in mid-February. The international NATO-led military operation began March 19 following a UN resolution on “targeted measures” to protect civilians.
Following months of fierce fighting that claimed hundreds of lives, the Libyan Transitional National Council has established control over most of the country’s territory, including the capital of Tripoli.
- NATO chief makes unannounced visit to Libya - Nov 01, 2011
- Russian presidential envoy ready to meet Gaddafi - Jun 08, 2011
- West fears al Qaeda could seize Gaddafi weapons: Report - Aug 24, 2011
- Libyan embassy in Washington re-opens under rebel government - Aug 12, 2011
- Egypt to extradite Gaddafi supporters - Mar 16, 2012
- Libyan rebel government to move to Tripoli next week - Sep 04, 2011
- Libyan rebels ask for weapons, says Italy - Apr 13, 2011
- Mass grave of 1,270 found in Libya - Sep 26, 2011
- Kuwait to give Libyan rebels 180 mn dollars - Apr 25, 2011
- Libya's rebel leader wants 'fair trial' for Gaddafi - Aug 23, 2011
- International group agrees on aid to Libya rebels - May 05, 2011
- 'France, Britain to continue military operation in Libya' - Sep 16, 2011
- Egypt to help Libya rebuild economy - Aug 30, 2011
- Gaddafi still a threat, says rebel chief - Aug 29, 2011
- White House welcomes new Libyan ambassador - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: chemical weapons, diplomat, fierce fighting, food supplies, gaddafi regime, hillary clinton, jibril, libya, libyan capital, mahmoud, medical aid, military campaign, military operation, mustafa, ria novosti, snb, stockpile, stockpiles, tripoli, us secretary of state