US places India on watch list on human traffickingJune 17th, 2009 - 12:23 am ICT by IANS
By Arun Kumar
Washington, June 16 (IANS) The US has placed India on tier 2 watch list of countries in a report on human trafficking, saying New Delhi is not doing enough to address the issue.
“India is a source, destination, and transit country for men, women, and children trafficked for the purposes of forced labour and commercial sexual exploitation,” said the 2009 Trafficking in Persons Report released by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Tuesday.
Observing that in recent years, there has been an increase of sex trafficking to medium-sized cities and satellite towns of large cities, the report said India is also a destination for women and girls from Nepal and Bangladesh trafficked for the purpose of commercial sexual exploitation.
There are also victims of labour trafficking among the thousands of Indians who migrate willingly every year to the Middle East, Europe, and the US for work as domestic servants and low-skilled labourers.
India does not fully comply with the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking, the report said. However, it is making significant efforts to do so.
“Despite these significant efforts, India has not demonstrated sufficient progress in its law enforcement efforts to address human trafficking, particularly bonded labour,” it said.
- US puts India on trafficking watch list for 7th year - Jun 14, 2010
- India is a source, destination and transit country for human trafficking: US report - Jun 17, 2009
- US asks India to make strong anti-trafficking law - Jun 20, 2012
- US report puts India under watch for human trafficking - Jun 17, 2009
- India not doing enough to combat 'modern slavery': US report (Lead) - Jun 17, 2009
- US report highlights trafficking in India - Jun 28, 2011
- India biggest market for trafficked Nepali women - Jun 17, 2009
- 'Australia a source and destination for human trafficking for sexual servitude' - Jun 18, 2010
- Nepal's growing pornography trade preys on women - Jun 16, 2010
- India on US human trafficking watch list for fifth year - Jun 05, 2008
- India unconcerned over US report on human smuggling: Chidambaram - Jul 08, 2009
- India has failed to implement human trafficking laws: activists - Jun 17, 2009
- Indian held in South Africa for human trafficking - May 07, 2012
- 'Economic activities behind spurt in human trafficking' - Jul 11, 2012
- UN launches anti-human trafficking drive in Portugal - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: arun kumar, commercial sexual exploitation, domestic servants, east europe, hillary clinton, human trafficking, labour, labourers, law enforcement efforts, list of countries, men women, New Delhi, satellite towns, secretary of state, sex trafficking, sized cities, source destination, tier 2 watch list, trafficking in persons, transit country