U.S. pilot among three killed in small plane crash in IndonesiaSeptember 22nd, 2011 - 9:39 pm ICT by BNO News
JAYAPURA, INDONESIA (BNO NEWS) — A small aircraft crashed in a remote area in the eastern Indonesian province of Papua on Thursday afternoon, killing three people, including a U.S. national, officials said.
The single-engine Pilatus PC-6 aircraft, operated by Yajasi Aviation, crashed in the mountainous area of Paspalei region in Papua’s Yalimo regency after losing contact with the control tower at around 1:13 p.m. local time.
The three people on board the aircraft were confirmed dead, including two unidentified passengers, and a U.S. pilot, identified as Paul Weslund. According to reports, the aircraft took off from Pagai in Yalimo District and was heading toward Wamena in the Jayawijaya District, carrying goods and supplies to the remote area.
About two weeks ago, a Cessna 108 B Grand Caravan operated by Indonesia’s Susi Air crashed in the same region. It was piloted by Dave Coots from Australia, along with his co-pilot Thomas Munk of Slovakia. A similar story was involved as they were carrying supplies to the remote area of Kenyam, in Papua’s Nduga District.
Only one day after the accident, an Indonesian Army helicopter crashed with five people on board. The Bell 412 helicopter had taken off from Timika Airport in Mimika Regency of Papua province at around 2.45 p.m. local time on September 10 to search for the ill-fated aircraft.
About an hour after the rescue helicopter had taken off, at around 3.51 p.m. local time, the air traffic control tower lost contact with the aircraft. It was later reported that the chopper had made an emergency landing, and its five crew members were safe.
- Helicopter crash in south-central Indonesia kills 2 - Sep 26, 2011
- Rescue workers spot wreckage of small plane on Indonesian mountain - Oct 05, 2012
- Tribal clashes erupt in eastern Indonesia due to offensive ringtone - Nov 18, 2010
- 10 killed in Indonesian plane crash (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Light aircraft crashes in Indonesia, four killed - Apr 09, 2009
- Death toll rises to 56 after flash floods in Papua, Indonesia - Oct 05, 2010
- Russian plane with 44 missing in Indonesia (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Pilot dies in chopper crash in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- 12 bodies brought out of crashed Sukhoi - May 11, 2012
- Helicopter crashes near Gulf of Mexico oil rig platform - May 29, 2012
- Flash floods in Papua, Indonesia kill at least 10 - Oct 04, 2010
- Russian plane carrying 44 people goes missing near Jakarta - May 09, 2012
- Crews recover black box from Indonesian plane crash site - May 09, 2011
- Crashed Sukhoi was replacement aircraft - May 16, 2012
- Pilot killed in Turkish helicopter crash - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: air traffic control, army helicopter, bell 412 helicopter, bno, co pilot, coots, emergency landing, grand caravan, indonesian army, indonesian province, jayapura indonesia, mountainous area, national officials, papua province, plane crash in indonesia, rescue helicopter, small aircraft, susi air, traffic control tower, wamena