US philanthropist jailed for sex with Russian minorDecember 4th, 2011 - 6:41 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Pennsylvania court sentenced US businessman and patron of arts Kenneth Schneider to 15 years in jail for having intimate relations with a Russian teenaged ballet dancer, National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) said Saturday.
Prosecutor Michael Levy said Schneider, 46, who had contributed to charity actions in the Moscow State Academy of Choreography in 1998, had been charged with having sexual relations with then 12-year-old Russian boy Roman Zavarov for several years.
Schneider, who was arrested March 27 in Cyprus, had lived with the boy in a Moscow apartment and then took him to Philadelphia (Pennsylvania) in 2001, prosecutors said.
Zavarov, now a married 25-year-old professional ballet dancer, testified against Schneider in the court. He said he had been sexually molested and could not escape because Schneider was paying for his tutors and housing expenses.
At the end of the trial, the judge called the culprit “a monster”.
“This investigation has exposed the disturbing truth concerning those individuals who believe they can victimise children abroad and not be held accountable in America for their very disturbing actions,” said John Kelleghan, special agent in charge of Homeland Security Investigations in Philadelphia.
Schneider, the founder of the Apogee Foundation, was also ordered to pay $35,000 in restitution for Zavarov’s medical and psychological treatment.
- 'Sleeping Beauty' ballet held in Bolshoi - Nov 19, 2011
- US couple put on wanted list for Russian boy's death - Nov 22, 2011
- A busy schedule at revamped Bolshoi Theatre - Oct 25, 2011
- Russian woman to be extradited from Spain for trafficking - May 05, 2011
- Russian faces jail for killing his rapist - May 11, 2012
- Turks charged with causing alcohol deaths - Feb 07, 2012
- Russian jailed in US for bank fraud - Mar 25, 2012
- Man jailed after dog 'shoots' friend - Apr 04, 2012
- Russian army officer convicted for shooting guard dogs - May 17, 2012
- Court bans clip of Russians drinking - Apr 17, 2012
- US couple jailed for killing Russian adopted son - Nov 19, 2011
- Gay activists fined in Russia - Apr 25, 2012
- Russian caught smuggling 320 turtles from Mexico - Sep 06, 2012
- Putin warns against ignoring nationalism - Aug 25, 2012
- Wanted sex trafficker extradited to Russia - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: apogee, choreography, culprit, intimate relations, michael levy, moscow apartment, moscow state, national broadcasting corporation, pennsylvania court, philadelphia pennsylvania, philanthropist, professional ballet dancer, psychological treatment, restitution, ria novosti, russian boy, russian minor, security investigations, sexual relations, state academy