US, Pakistan, Afghanistan to create joint military forceSeptember 24th, 2008 - 4:52 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 24 (Xinhua) The US is discussing with Pakistan and Afghanistan to create a joint military force to combat insurgents in the two south Asian nations, a senior US official confirmed Tuesday.”We’re obviously taking a good look at it. We’re going to analyse it and see where we go from here,” State Department deputy spokesman Robert Wood said, adding that “We will probably have something to say once we’ve done a thorough analysis of it.”
Last month, officials from the three countries began discussing the creation of a joint military force for anti-insurgency operations on both sides of the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, the Washington Post quoted Afghan Defence Minister Rahim Wardak as saying Tuesday.
“The terrorists have not recognised any boundaries. So to fight them, we have to eventually come up with some arrangement, together with our neighbour Pakistan,” Wardak said.
“Pakistan’s government is considering the plan. They say they are looking at it,” he added.
- Will act on our own against terror, US warns Pakistan - Sep 30, 2011
- Reducing Afghan forces can lead to catastrophe: Minister - Feb 19, 2012
- Pakistan's terror safe havens remain security challenge, says US - May 02, 2012
- Panetta's safe haven comment unhelpful: Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- US seeks military communication along Pakistan border - Oct 28, 2011
- Clinton warns of terrorists-pursuit on Afghan-Pakistan border - Oct 20, 2011
- US suspends NATO supply talks with Pakistan - Jun 12, 2012
- Pakistan must not allow terrorists to use it: Panetta - Jun 07, 2012
- Pakistan must not allow terrorists to use its territory: Panetta (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Afghan defence minister to visit India from Wednesday - May 31, 2011
- India promises to continue training Afghan security forces (Lead) (With images) - Jun 01, 2011
- You can't keep snakes in backyard, Clinton tells Pakistan - Oct 21, 2011
- Indian PM in Kabul to discuss terror, aid with Karzai (Third Lead) - May 12, 2011
- US puts 5 Haqqani Network associates on terrorist list - Sep 30, 2011
- Over 1,400 Haqqani fighters held in Afghanistan this year - Oct 10, 2011