US opposes Taiwan’s referendum on UN membershipFebruary 26th, 2008 - 4:13 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, Feb 26 (Xinhua) Visiting US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Tuesday said that her country “opposes the proposed referendum” on Taiwan’s UN membership. Addressing a press meet here after her talks with Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi, Rice reiterated that the US was committed to the one-China policy and opposed any unilateral change across the straits.
She also expressed her hope that differences across the straits would be resolved peacefully.
“The US opposes the proposed referendum because we believe that the referendum would not be constructive and would not in fact serve useful purposes,” she said.
Chinese Foreign minister Yang Jiechi said that China appreciates the US and Rice’s public statements on opposition to the Taiwan authorities’ proposed “referendum on UN membership”.
China also praised US for its adherence to the one-China policy and the opposition to “Taiwan independence”, the minister said.
The Taiwan question affects China’s sovereignty and territorial integrity and is of utmost concern to China, Yang said.
Rice arrived here Tuesday morning for a two-day official visit on the invitation of her Chinese counterpart Yang.
- China opposes US-Taiwan relations - Jul 19, 2012
- Bangladesh seeks close ties with China - Jun 20, 2011
- Krishna in China for trilateral strategic talks - Nov 14, 2010
- UN chief discusses Syria with Chinese minister - Jul 16, 2012
- China, Russia to make joint efforts for Syria - May 11, 2012
- Chinese premier visits Nepal - Jan 14, 2012
- Arab League chief calls for closer Arab-China ties - May 08, 2012
- China seeks peace with neighbours (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- India, China to discuss Iran - Jun 03, 2012
- China, Bhutan ready to forge diplomatic ties - Jun 22, 2012
- A blockbuster year in Indian diplomacy (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2010
- Russia, China to cooperate on Middle East, North Africa - May 06, 2011
- China sincere in helping Pakistan: Official - Jun 03, 2012
- US urged to respect China's core interests - Mar 07, 2010
- Wen reiterates support to Pakistan's sovereignty - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: adherence, beijing, china policy, chinese counterpart, chinese foreign minister, condoleezza rice, invitation, public statements, referendum, secretary of state, secretary of state condoleezza rice, sovereignty, state condoleezza rice, taiwan authorities, taiwan independence, taiwan question, territorial integrity, tuesday morning, utmost concern, yang xinhua