US Open: Paes, Dlouhy upset Bryan brothers to enter doubles finalSeptember 10th, 2009 - 1:58 am ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 10 (IANS) India’s Leander Paes and Lukas Dlouhy of the Czech Republic overcame a stiff challenge from top seeds American brothers Bob and Mike 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6) to storm into the finals of men’s doubles in the US Open tennis tournament here Wednesday.
Fourth seeds Paes and Dlouhy thus avenged their defeat in the title-round here last year. The Indo-Czech pair held their nerves in the tense decider to pull off a thrilling match in an hour and 51 minutes.
The deciding set itself lasted 55 minutes with Paes and Dlouhy wasting a match point in the 10th game off left-hander Bob’s serve.
Dlouhy struggled with his serve initially in the third set. He was down 0-40 in the first game, but managed well to hold after saving three break points in the game that stretched to 16 points.
Bob and Mike served strong and won three straight service games at love to level 3-3. Paes’ service was under attack in the seventh game and he had to ward off four break points to hold after being down 0-40.
The Indo-Czech pair had a match point at 5-4 on Bob’s serve, but could not convert and the set went to the tie-breaker.
Paes and Dlouhy raced to a 5-0 lead in the tie-breaker, before Bob and Mike fought back. The Americans saved four match points at 6-2 to draw level. Finally Paes and Dlouhy wrapped it up in their sixth match point with Paes showing great reflexes at the net and putting away a volley.
The French Open doubles champion will meet the winner of the other semi-final between India’s Mahesh Bhupathi and Mark Knowles of Bahamas and Andy Ram of Israel and Max Mirnyi of Belarus.
Paes, who won the title here in 2006 partnering Martin Damm, entered the US Open title round for the fifth time. He has also advanced in the mixed doubles final here with Zimbabwean Cara Black.
- Paes-Stepanek shock Bryan brothers; lift Australian Open men's doubles title (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Paes-Bhupathi face-off in US Open men's doubles final (Lead) - Sep 10, 2009
- US Open: Paes-Stepanek set-up final clash with Bryan brothers (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek in finals, Mahesh-Bhupathi out - Mar 30, 2012
- Paes, Dlouhy in US Open doubles final - Sep 10, 2009
- Paes brings cheer on a day cricketers cave in - Jan 28, 2012
- US Open: Paes-Stepanek face Bryan brothers in final - Sep 07, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek crash out of Monaco Masters - Apr 21, 2012
- U.S. Open: Paes-Stepanek in third round - Sep 01, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek steamroll into US Open semis - Sep 06, 2012
- French Open: Paes on course for his 12th Grand Slam - Jun 03, 2010
- US Open: Paes, Sania advance to quarterfinals - Sep 03, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek, Bhupathi-Bopanna knocked out of Wimbledon - Jul 04, 2012
- Paes, Vesnina go down fighting in Wimbledon final - Jul 09, 2012
- French Open: Paes in mixed doubles quarters, exits from doubles - May 28, 2011
Tags: andy ram, bob and mike, break points, cara black, french open doubles, leander paes, left hander, mahesh bhupathi, mark knowles, martin damm, match point, match points, max mirnyi, open tennis tournament, service games, stiff challenge, tie breaker, us open tennis, us open tennis tournament, york sep