US offers help in finding Kabul Indian mission attackers (Lead)

July 8th, 2008 - 1:31 am ICT by IANS  

Washington, July 7 (IANS) The US Monday condemned the deadly suicide bomb attack on the Indian embassy in Kabul and offered Afghan and Indian authorities help in determining who was responsible for these attacks. “…terrible news in both places. Both in Kabul as well as in Islamabad, innocent people lost their lives in terrorist attacks, and it’s a terrible tragedy” State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said referring to the attacks in the Afghan and Pakistan capitals.

“We condemn these attacks. And in the incident in Kabul, we have offered any assistance, not only to Afghan but also to Indian authorities, in terms of follow-up, determining who’s responsible for these attacks,” McCormack said.

Earlier in a statement in Toyako, Japan, White House national security spokesman Gordon Johndroe said: “We condemn this needless act of violence, and offer our sincere condolences to those injured and especially to those families who lost loved ones.

“Extremists continue to show their disregard for all human life and their willingness to kill fellow Muslims. The US stands with the people of Afghanistan as well as India, as we face this common enemy,” said Johndroe, who is accompanying President George W. Bush at the G8 summit.

A suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden car into the heavily fortified Indian embassy’s gates in Kabul Monday morning, killing four Indian nationals and some 40 Afghans. Another suicide bombing killed 15 people in Pakistan Sunday.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |