US offers $5 mn reward for Baitullah MehsudMarch 26th, 2009 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 26 (IANS) The US has offered a $5 million reward for information on Baitullah Mehsud, a senior leader of the Tehrik-e-Taliban who is linked to the assassination of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto.
Gordon Duguid, State Department acting deputy spokesperson, said: “Mehsud is regarded as a key Al Qaeda facilitator in the tribal areas of South Waziristan in Pakistan.”
Pakistani authorities believe the January 2007 suicide bombing at the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad was staged by militants loyal to Mehsud. Press reports have also linked Mehsud to the assassination of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto and the deaths of other innocent civilians, a statement quoting Duguid said.
“Mehsud has stated his intention to attack the US. He has conducted cross-border attacks against US forces in Afghanistan, and poses a clear threat to American persons and interests in the region.”
Besides Mehsud, the US has also announced a reward of $5 million for Sirajuddin Haqqani, who maintains close ties with the Al Qaeda, and a $1 million reward for information on Al Qaeda member Abu Yahya al-Libi.
- Pakistan offers reward for Baitullah Mehsud - Jun 28, 2009
- Badruddin Haqqani killed in drone attack: Report - Aug 25, 2012
- Al Qaeda No 2 dead: US - Jun 06, 2012
- US announces five million dollar reward on Baitullah Mehsud - Mar 26, 2009
- Al Qaeda No. 2 leader is dead: White House (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Pakistani Taliban added to US terror list - Sep 02, 2010
- Pakistani investigators probe local links in Khost CIA massacre case - Jan 09, 2010
- Pakistan nabs Taliban leader's close aide - Apr 13, 2009
- Top Al Qaeda strategist killed in Pakistan? - Jun 05, 2012
- Zardari believed 'US was behind Taliban attacks in Pak' to gain access to its nukes - Oct 13, 2010
- "We know at whose house Benazir murder plot was hatched": Malik - Mar 13, 2011
- Pak Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud's aide arrested in Karachi - Feb 23, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban leader possibly killed in U.S. drone strike - Jan 16, 2012
- 'Saudi charity funding pro al-Qaeda terror outfits in Pak' - Sep 14, 2009
- Al-Qaeda repeats call to take revenge over Pak neuroscientist's US sentencing - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: 5 million, abu yahya, al libi, al qaeda, baitullah mehsud, benazir bhutto, close ties, deputy spokesperson, duguid, facilitator, haqqani, hotel in islamabad, innocent civilians, marriott, marriott hotel in islamabad, pakistani authorities, pakistani prime minister, south waziristan, state department, tribal areas