US nuke submarine damaged in collision near IranMarch 21st, 2009 - 5:06 pm ICT by ANI
Washington/Tehran, Mar.21 (ANI): A nuclear submarine was damaged in a collision with another U.S. Navy vessel off the coast of Iran early Friday, leaving 15 U.S. sailors injured and 25,000 gallons of fuel spilling into the Strait of Hormuz.
The USS Hartford, a nuclear-powered fast-attack submarine, was fully submerged Friday when it collided with the transport ship the USS New Orleans, Fox News quoted a Navy official in the 5th Fleet, as saying.
No official reason has been given for the accident but a Defense Department official told FOX News that “it appears the two vessels were not in communication before they collided.”
Fifteen sailors aboard the Hartford were slightly injured but able to return to duty. No injuries were reported aboard the New Orleans, according to the Bahrain-based 5th Fleet.
It was the Los Angeles-class submarine’’s first deployment. (ANI)
- Two US Navy vessels collide in Strait of Hormuz (Lead) - Mar 20, 2009
- Submarine rams into ship as navigator listens to iPod - Apr 11, 2010
- Leased Russian N-submarine to reach India by month-end - Mar 14, 2012
- Two US Navy ships collide in Strait of Hormuz - Mar 20, 2009
- Russian n-sub for Indian Navy coming soon: Envoy - Dec 07, 2011
- Russian submarine to reach Indian shores mid-March - Feb 28, 2012
- US Navy ship fires at boat off UAE coast - Jul 17, 2012
- Leased Russian n-submarine to set sail for India this month end - Dec 15, 2011
- US: 'Iran preparing suicide bomb boats' - Feb 13, 2012
- Nuke-powered submarine to boost India's underwater warfare capability - Apr 03, 2012
- US forces rescue six more Iranian sailors - Jan 11, 2012
- Russia hands over Nerpa nuclear submarine to India - Jan 23, 2012
- Iran developing n-powered submarine - Jun 13, 2012
- UAE probes Indian fisherman's killing by US ship (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Seven injured as US n-submarine catches fire - May 25, 2012
Tags: 5th fleet, attack submarine, deployment, fox news, iran, los angeles class submarine, navy official, navy vessel, new orleans, nuclear submarine, sailors, strait of hormuz, tehran, transport ship, u s navy, uss hartford