US nominates Afghanistan, Iraq ambassadorsMarch 12th, 2009 - 5:12 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 12 (DPA) Lieutenant General Karl Eikenberry, a NATO official and former commander of international forces in Afghanistan, was nominated to be the US’ next ambassador to Afghanistan by President Barack Obama Wednesday.Eikenberry is currently deputy chairman of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation’s (NATO)military committee. A career military veteran, he served as the commander of the Combined Forces Command in Afghanistan for 18 months before moving to NATO’s Brussels headquarters in 2007.
Obama has called Afghanistan the central front in the war on terrorism and last month announced plans to send 17,000 more US troops to the region to help quell a Taliban and Al Qaeda insurgency.
Richard Holbrooke, who helped broker peace in the former Yugoslavia, is serving as as a special envoy to both Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Obama also officially nominated Christopher Hill as ambassador to Iraq, though he already made his choice known last month in a speech on Iraq policy. Hill, a career diplomat, served as the lead negotiator with North Korea during the former president George W. Bush’s administration.
Obama last month said he would withdraw most US combat troops from Iraq by the end of August 2010 but plans to keep in place thousands of soldiers to support and train Iraqi forces.
- Panetta set to be US Defense Secretary, Petraeus to be CIA chief - Apr 27, 2011
- Petraeus takes command, vows victory in Afghan war (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- Petraeus to take control of Afghan NATO forces Sunday - Jul 04, 2010
- 'Angry' Obama recalls Afghan commander to Washington - Jun 23, 2010
- Ex-NATO commander McChrystal cleared of wrongdoing in Rolling Stone piece - Apr 19, 2011
- Pak terror sanctuaries single greatest source of Afghan instability: Eikenberry - Jan 27, 2010
- US Vice-President Biden in Afghanistan on two-day visit - Jan 11, 2011
- US officials say concrete progress in Afghan war against Taliban - Oct 17, 2010
- U.S. Senate confirms Gen. Petraeus as new Afghan war commander - Jul 01, 2010
- US combat operations in Afghanistan will continue even after 2014: Eikenberry - Dec 24, 2010
- 'Tough talking' Munter nominated new US ambassador to Pakistan - Sep 14, 2010
- US army to ask Obama to slow down Afghan withdrawal - Aug 13, 2010
- US commander McChrystal derides Vice-President Biden, Holbrooke and envoy - Jun 22, 2010
- Afghan official says US ambassador suggested he resign - Jun 29, 2010
- Karzai pleads for patience from allies - Dec 07, 2009
Tags: afghanistan iraq, ambassador to iraq, atlantic treaty organisation, barack obama, career diplomat, career military veteran, combat troops, deputy chairman, former yugoslavia, george w bush, iraq policy, lieutenant general karl eikenberry, nato military committee, nato official, north atlantic treaty organisation, north korea, place thousands, president george w bush, richard holbrooke, war on terrorism