US Navy reveals warship of the futureMay 11th, 2009 - 5:05 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 11 (ANI): The US Navy has come out with America’s next generation of warship that is designed to tackle the modern threats of piracy and terrorism. The Littoral Combat Ship is a new generation high-speed warship designed to carry out a range of operations
With a top speed of 50 knots (60 mph), the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS), is a small, fast, manoeuvrable ship equipped to tackle almost any situation, reports The Telegraph.
Armed with 57-millimetre gun capable of 220 rounds per minute at a range of up to nine miles, four 12.7mm machine guns, and Raytheon SeaRAM missiles, this 370ft long vessel can also hold two SeaHawk helicopters if required.In addition to its undoubted firepower, automated ’smart ship’ technologies greatly reduce the need for a large crew aboard an LCS ship, freeing space for ’specialised’ teams to be housed on board.
A crew of around 40 sail and maintain the ship, whilst another crew of up to 35 are in place to carry out specialised missions, such as air defence, underwater warfare and surface attacks.
Whilst the capabilities of the LCS have generated a lot of enthusiasm within the US Navy, the production cost and speed of the program has been less than plain sailing.
Two shipbuilding teams, Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics, have been working on the LCS program since 2005.
Work started on the Lockheed Martin-designed USS Freedom (LCS-1) in 2005 and was eventually completed in 2008 with sea tests taking place in January of this year.
USS Independence (LCS-2), laid down by General Dynamics in 2005, will be completed later this year.
Projected costs were initially set at 220 million dollars per ship. The LCS-1 and LCS-2 could cost up to 500 million dollars each to build.
The US Navy is set to commission as many as 55 ships in the coming years. (ANI)
- India's third indigenous stealth frigate commissioning July 21 - Jun 25, 2012
- Indian Navy foils pirate attack on Chinese vessel - May 06, 2011
- US sends three warships to Libya - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian warships wrap up China visit - Jun 19, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- India calls for rational demarcation of pirate-infested waters - Apr 22, 2012
- Antony to commission Indian-built warship Saturday - Jul 20, 2012
- India inducts third indigenous stealth frigate (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- New fast attack craft joins Indian Navy - Jun 08, 2011
- Navy to get second indigenous stealth frigate - Jul 27, 2011
- Time to frame rules to protect our fisherfolk (Comment) - Jul 23, 2012
- Crew of hijacked Chinese cargo ship rescued - Apr 07, 2012
- India mulling naval protocol to prevent skirmishes at sea - Dec 02, 2011
- Fresh pirate attack on freed vessel, India rushes warship (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: air defence, firepower, freedom lcs 1, general dynamics, lcs ship, littoral combat ship, littoral combat ship lcs, lockheed martin, machine guns, millimetre, nine miles, plain sailing, seahawk helicopters, searam, smart ship, specialised teams, underwater warfare, uss freedom lcs, uss freedom lcs 1, uss independence