Operation Odyssey Dawn: U.S. Navy fires missiles at Libyan air defensesMarch 20th, 2011 - 2:55 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) — The U.S. Navy on Saturday evening fired several Tomahawk cruise missiles at Libyan air defenses, U.S. media reported, and President Barack Obama is expected to make a statement soon.
NBC News, Fox News and CNN reported that the U.S. Navy had joined French forces in carrying out attacks on Libya, where Muammar Gaddafi has violently cracked down on anti-government protesters.
Few details about the U.S. attacks were immediately available, although there were reports of several loud explosions being heard east of Tripoli. Balls of fire could be seen on the horizon, media reports said.
- UK PM Cameron says British forces in action over Libya, says it is legal - Mar 20, 2011
- Russia calls for end to 'indiscriminate use of force' in Libya - Mar 20, 2011
- 48 killed as coalition forces target Libyan air defence - Mar 20, 2011
- French warplanes strike Tripoli outskirts - Mar 20, 2011
- US, EU forces launch broad air strikes on Libya - Mar 20, 2011
- Missiles hit Gaddafi compound in Tripoli - Mar 21, 2011
- Western military strikes on Libya may threaten Gaddafi regime continuance: NYT - Mar 21, 2011
- British defence secretary admits Gaddafi is a 'legitimate target' - Mar 21, 2011
- Russia cancels evacuation flight to Libya - Mar 26, 2011
- Libyan embassy in Washington re-opens under rebel government - Aug 12, 2011
- African Union urges US, EU to 'immediately stop' attack on Gaddafi's forces - Mar 20, 2011
- Libya's Gaddafi: "All my people love me" - Mar 01, 2011
- Gaddafi regime brands UN resolution on no-fly zone in Libya as 'invalid' - Mar 20, 2011
- 'Coalition forces paving rebels' way to Libyan oil facilities' - Mar 27, 2011
- Turmoil rages in Libya, UN slaps sanctions (Roundup) - Feb 27, 2011
Tags: air defenses, balls of fire, barack obama, bno, cnn, fires, fox news, french forces, horizon media, libya, libyan air, loud explosions, muammar gaddafi, nbc news, operation odyssey dawn, protesters, s media, saturday evening, tomahawk cruise missiles, tripoli, u s navy