US model turned boxer Patricia Alcivar ‘wants to own world title’March 12th, 2011 - 5:37 pm ICT by ANI
New York, March 12 (ANI): Many models dream of making it big in Hollywood but Patricia Alcivar has different plans - she wants to own a boxing world title.
Former runway and fitness model, 33, better known in the ring as “Patty Boom Boom,” has gone from an abusive home to the amateur ranks and now the pros.
She’s logged a 4-0 record with three knockouts. And she’s throwing down the gauntlet to the current WBC Super Flyweight champ, Anna Maria Torres.
“My goal is to own the world title and get this itch out of my system,” the New York Daily News quoted Alcivar, as saying.
Alcivar usually keeps her weight between 113 and 115 pounds - that is, if she can stay away from Sour Patch Kids and other sweets from Dylan’s Candy Bar on the upper East Side.
The toned knockout said her training and intensity helped her win her hometown debut as a pro last week by unanimous decision at the Cordon Bleu in Woodhaven.
She said she got pumped up after imagining a loss against her opponent. “I just visualized her raising her hand [in victory] and I went nuts,” she said.
“I can box, but when it’s time to really turn it on, it’s really an aggressive boxer-brawler style.”
Alcivar runs six days a week and hits the heavy bag and spars at Trinity Boxing Gym in lower Manhattan.
Trinity’s owner, Martin Snow, 51, trained Alcivar as an amateur and now as a pro. He said he’s noticed a change in her fighting style.
“She had a little compassion in the amateurs but in the pros she’s blood-thirsty. She’s out there to kill somebody.”
The former model said her edge in the ring is her looks, which prompt boxers and spectators alike to underestimate her.
“That’s my secret weapon - the looks. People don’t expect what they see in the ring,” Alcivar added. (ANI)
- Focus is on maintaining my form: Mary Kom - Jul 21, 2012
- 'I'm done with boxing', says Mike Tyson - Oct 28, 2010
- Cuban boxing legend's home to become museum - Jul 13, 2012
- Nikhat Zareen, a champion in the making (With Images) - May 03, 2011
- President congratulates Mary Kom - Aug 10, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian boxer Devendro in finals of President's Cup - May 06, 2012
- Delhi CWG earns bragging rights for Haroon Khan against Brit boxing selectors - Oct 10, 2010
- Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. arrested for domestic violence - Sep 10, 2010
- Manny Pacquiao's nickname reference - Aug 20, 2009
- Brazilian assured of bronze in women's boxing - Aug 07, 2012
- Vitali Klitschko defends WBC heavyweight title in one-punch knockout - Mar 21, 2011
- Mexican boxer Valdez feeling no Olympics pressure - Jul 24, 2012
- A 46-year-old housewife who wants to make boxing history - May 16, 2009
- Brit boxer Khan ready to take on superstar pal Manny Pacquiao - Apr 18, 2011
Tags: amateur ranks, boom boom, boxing gym, boxing world, candy bar, fighting style, fitness model, former model, knockouts, lower manhattan, manhattan trinity, maria torres, models dream, new york daily news, secret weapon, sour patch kids, spars, super flyweight, throwing down the gauntlet, unanimous decision