US military instructor jailed for rapeJuly 22nd, 2012 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, July 22 (IANS) An air force instructor has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for rape and sexual assault in a scandal that has rocked one of America’s busiest military training centres, Xinhua reported Sunday.
Sgt. Luis Walker was sentenced Saturday after a military jury at Lackland Air Force Base found him guilty on charges of rape, aggravated sexual contact and multiple counts of aggravated sexual assault.
Military officials said the initial flirtations Walker directed at the women he trained at the base grew into something more sinister — threats and intimidation that eventually led to rape.
Walker was among 12 trainers investigated in the sex scandal at the base in San Antonio, Texas.
The alleged crimes occurred between October 2010 and June 2011, according to the US Air Force.
Walker was the first to stand trial in the scandal. Six of the instructors have been charged and face charges ranging from rape to adultery.
- Court martial begins in US military base sex scandal - Jul 17, 2012
- US air force commander removed amid widening sex scandal - Aug 11, 2012
- Air Force Official Gets 20 Months Military Prison Term, Dishonorable Discharge Over Sexual Misconduct - Jan 29, 2011
- HIV positive American airman 'had unprotected sex with 11 people' - Sep 22, 2010
- Sexual assault an unseen foe for US troops - May 01, 2011
- Sexual assault of American women soldiers on the rise - Mar 18, 2011
- British soldier jailed for rape - Mar 10, 2012
- Four Oz boys aged 11 to 14 charged with sexual assault - Mar 24, 2011
- 17 Afghan military officers go AWOL from Dallas Air Force base - Jun 18, 2010
- Chinese man is first to be prosecuted of sexual assault of another male - Jan 05, 2011
- More than 400 Afghan women jailed for 'moral crimes' - Mar 29, 2012
- Sexual assaults on the rise at US military academies - Dec 28, 2011
- Former Swedish police chief sentenced to prison for rapes - Jul 30, 2010
- Indian-American treats wife as slave; gets away with probation - May 24, 2012
- Shiney Ahuja to appeal against rape sentence in High Court - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: adultery, air force base, crimes, face charges, flirtations, military instructor, military jury, military officials, military training, rape, san antonio texas, sex scandal, sexual assault, sexual contact, sgt, threats and intimidation, us air force, xinhua