US military conducts ‘most challenging’ ballistic missile defense testApril 16th, 2011 - 2:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 16 (ANI): The US military has successfully conducted its “most challenging test to date” of its ballistic missile defense (BMD) system.
The US Department of Defense announced that it fired an interceptor from an Aegis destroyer to blast an intermediate-range missile over the Pacific Ocean.
According to the Missile Defense Agency, the test was conducted jointly by the Navy’s Aegis destroyer USS O’KANE, and the 94th Army Air and Missile Defense Command, Xinhua reports.
An intermediate-range ballistic missile target was launched from Kwajalein Atoll in the Republic of the Marshall Islands, approximately 2,300 miles southwest of Hawaii.
“Initial indications are that all components performed as designed,” said the agency.
The agency said the test was the most challenging test to date as the engagement relied on remote tracking data for the first time to intercept an intermediate-range target.
The agency said ability to use remote radar data to engage a threat ballistic missile greatly increases the battle space and defended area of the SM-3 missile.
Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense is the sea-based midcourse component of the Ballistic Missile Defense System and is designed to intercept and destroy short to intermediate-range ballistic missile threats.
The “successful test demonstrated the capability of the first phase” of the European missile shield, announced by President Barack Obama in September 2009, the agency said. (ANI)
- US attempt to test mimick Iran strike fails - Feb 02, 2010
- U.S. missile defense test fails - Feb 02, 2010
- India to test 5,000-km intercontinental ballistic missile by year-end - Jun 03, 2011
- India successfully test-fires missile interceptor (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- India successfully tests interceptor missile defence system - Mar 06, 2011
- NATO offers missile defence cooperation to India - Sep 04, 2011
- U.S. introduces a new missile defense plan - Sep 17, 2009
- India successfully test-fires missile interceptor - Feb 10, 2012
- India successfully test-fires missile interceptor (Second Lead) (With Images) - Mar 06, 2011
- US tests hypersonic weapon - Nov 18, 2011
- Israel to test next-generation missile defense system - Mar 02, 2012
- N-capable missiles in India's arsenal [To go with India test-fires 5,000 km Agni-V missile, China cautious (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2012
- Japan to deploy interceptors to counter North Korean launch - Mar 20, 2012
- US warship heads out to protect Europe from Iranian missiles - Mar 02, 2011
- India successfully test-fires missile interceptor (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: aegis ballistic missile defense, aegis destroyer, ballistic missile defense, ballistic missile defense system, ballistic missile threats, barack obama, battle space, destroyer uss, intermediate range, missile defense agency, missile defense command, missile defense system, missile defense test, missile shield, missile target, radar data, range ballistic missile, range missile, range target, republic of the marshall islands