US military claims 22 suspected rebels killed in AfghanistanJanuary 20th, 2009 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Jan 20 (DPA) US-led coalition forces killed 22 suspected Taliban militants including two of their commanders, and detained 11 others in separate operations in Afghanistan, the military said Tuesday.A Taliban commander and 18 fighters were killed in combat in Tagab district of north-eastern province of Kapisa Monday, the statement said.
The militants’ compounds were located about 50 km north of Kabul city, the statement said.
The forces also detained eight suspected militants and seized 20 AK-47 rifles.
Separately, the combined forces killed another Taliban commander, Mullah Abdul Rahim Akhund, and one of his associates in an operation in Pakjwayi district of southern Kandahar province Monday, the statement said.
Another militant was killed and two others were detained in a separate fight in Jaldak district of neighbouring Zabul province, while another militant was detained in south-eastern province of Khost also Monday, the statement added.
The statement did not say if there were any casualties among their troops or Afghan civilians, while due to remoteness of the areas, where the recent clashes occurred, it was difficult to independently verify the claimed death toll.
Despite the presence of nearly 70,000 international forces, Taliban-led insurgents continue to mount attacks on Afghan and foreign military targets.
- Afghan police kill 15 militants, detain 11 - Aug 23, 2012
- Eight die as Taliban attack Afghan governor - Sep 03, 2012
- 42 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Jun 17, 2012
- Taliban leader held in Afghanistan: ISAF - Aug 01, 2012
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- 15 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Dec 31, 2011
- Five militants killed, 22 held in Afghanistan - Feb 27, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- 11 militants killed, 19 held in Afghanistan - Oct 09, 2011
- Taliban leader, five others killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Afghan police kill 17 Taliban militants - Jul 31, 2012
- Seven Taliban killed, 18 held in Afghanistan - Feb 12, 2012
- Taliban cell leader and other suspected insurgents captured throughout Afghanistan - Jul 25, 2010
- Taliban leader involved in NYT journalist Farrell's kidnapping among insurgents arrested in Afghanistan - Oct 05, 2010
- 50 Taliban killed in NATO drone strike - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: afghanistan kabul, ak 47, akhund, clashes, coalition forces, death toll, kabul city, kandahar province, kapisa, khost, military claims, military targets, mullah, north eastern province, rahim, rifles, south eastern province, southern kandahar, taliban commander, zabul province