US may divulge nuclear stockpile size at NPT ConferenceMay 1st, 2010 - 4:00 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 1 (ANI): In an unprecedented move, the Obama administration is considering disclosure of the size of the US nuclear stockpile.
Probably hoping to lead by example, the decision comes against the backdrop of the critical Non Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Review Conference to be held in New York.
The decision is tactical, as the US is desperately trying to secure the passage of the NPT and this is a bid to salvage its own nuclear credentials and substantiate its case for nuclear disarmament.
According to The Washington Post, the numbers can be released as soon as Monday, when Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton will address the NPT Review Conference in New York, officials said.
She will speak after Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who is likely to repeat his demands for more global controls over the stockpiles of the nuclear nations. (ANI)
- India says no to NPT again, terms it discriminatory - May 30, 2010
- Iran president applies for US visa to attend NPT summit - Apr 29, 2010
- Ahmadinejad defies nuclear powers at UN nuclear conference - May 04, 2010
- Ahmadinejad tops UN speakers' list; US won't meet him - May 01, 2010
- US releases size of nuclear stockpile - May 04, 2010
- Rao to visit US, NSG membership on agenda - Jan 28, 2011
- Iran seeks India's backing for Tehran disarmament meet - Mar 27, 2010
- Iran, North Korea threaten key nuclear treaty: US - Apr 30, 2010
- World leaders root for NPT, India remains firm - May 04, 2010
- Ahamdinejad questions veracity of Pentagon's 5113 Nuclear warheads disclosure - May 05, 2010
- Western diplomats walk out of Ahmadinejad's speech - May 04, 2010
- Restructuring UNSC must for disarmament: Iran - Apr 17, 2010
- US has over 5000 existing nuclear war-heads - May 04, 2010
- UN asks for agreement on nuclear disarmament - May 28, 2010
- Ahmadinejad applies for US visa - Apr 29, 2010
Tags: backdrop, global controls, hillary rodham clinton, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, mahmoud ahmadinejad, may 1, non proliferation treaty, npt conference, npt review conference, nuclear disarmament, nuclear nations, nuclear stockpile, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, salvage, secretary of state, stockpiles, unprecedented move, washington post, york officials