US markets plunge after the downgradeAugust 8th, 2011 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 8 (IANS) US stocks plunged sharply as Wall Street opened Monday, the first day of trading after Standard & Poor’s historical downgrade of the United States’ top notch AAA credit rating to AA+.
The Dow Jones industrial average sank 350 points, or 3 percent; the S&P; 500 lost 43 points, or 3.7 percent; and the Nasdaq Composite dropped 101 points, or 4 percent, according to CNN.
Losses accelerated after S&P;, in a move related to the US downgrade, lowered the ratings of mortgage finance firms Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
Monday’s selloff was broad, with 29 out of the Dow 30 and 496 members of the S&P; 500 trading in the red. The blue chips were dragged lower by a 8 percent drop in Bank of America shares and a 4 percent decline in shares of Alcoa.
The VIX (VIX) — Wall Street’s so-called “fear’ index — jumped 17 percent to 37.43. “It’s the highest level for the VIX in more than a year, CNN said.
“Investors are having one reaction to the downgrade: sell first and ask questions later,” Paul Zemsky, head of asset allocation with ING Investment Management was quoted as saying by the news channel.
However, in the midst of the turmoil, one early positive sign was the decline of the yields on the government’s 10-year Treasury bond.
The yield fell Monday to 2.47 from Friday’s close of 2.56, indicating that investors still viewed US government debt as a safe place to park their money, despite the credit-rating downgrade, the Washington Post said.
Meanwhile, on Tuesday, the Federal Reserve, the US central bank, is set to meet amid increasing signs that the US economic recovery is faltering.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- US markets suffer sharpest drop since 2008 - Aug 09, 2011
- US stocks rebound from plunge - Aug 09, 2011
- US stocks slide amid euro concerns (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- US stocks fall on bleak earnings - Jan 14, 2012
- US loses 'stable' outlook from top agencies - Nov 29, 2011
- US to keep interest rates low until 2013; stocks zoom - Aug 10, 2011
- Wall Street drops amid debt ceiling uncertainty and weak data (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- 'Perverse behaviour' by investors baffles economists - Aug 09, 2011
- Wall Street rises on China hope - Sep 13, 2011
- US loses AAA credit rating, terms it 'a facts-be-damned decision' (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Indian bourses continue to spiral downwards (Weekly market review) - Nov 26, 2011
- US stocks end lower in holiday-shortened session - Nov 26, 2011
- US stocks open lower on Greek worry - Mar 06, 2012
- Top economic voices question US downgrade - Aug 08, 2011
- Wall Street snaps three-day rally - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,