US man agrees to pay neighbours $2K every time he smokes cigarsFebruary 24th, 2011 - 6:16 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Feb 24 (ANI): A man in US has agreed to fork over 2,000 dollars to his next-door neighbours every time he smokes a cigar inside his apartment.
In papers filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, Harry Lysons said he would pay 2000 dollars every time the smell of cigar smoke wafts from his apartment into the home of Russell and Amanda Poses.
And if he doesn’t pay up within 15 days, he will have to pay an additional 1,500 dollars per violation.
The deal brings an end to a 2 million dollar lawsuit the Poses filed against him last month, complaining that Lysons was stinking up their East 79th Street apartment with “foul and noxious odours”.
“They could have put in a million dollar fine and it would have been fine with us, because my client won’t be smoking any cigars in the apartment,” the New York Post quoted Lysons’ lawyer, Jeffrey Marcus, as saying.
He said his client is a “gentleman” who was willing to give up his right to smoke in his apartment to be a good neighbour — but he’s not giving up his stogies.
“I think when you’re in your 70s you’re entitled to some of the remaining pleasures in life. He’s earned the right to smoke a cigar and have some brandy at night. He’ll just have the cigar on the street,” Marcus said.
The Poses’ lawyer, John Churneftsky, said he was glad both sides were able to make peace so quickly, which he credited in part to “reasonable attorneys on both sides”.
Under the terms of the court-approved deal, Lysons’ apartment will have to pass a smell test if the Poses say there’s the scent of smoke in their two-bedroom condo.
“Each party hereto shall afford the other party access to their apartment, upon reasonable notice for the purpose of verifying that the plaintiffs’ apartment smells from cigar smoke which emanated from defendants’ smoking cigars in the prohibited areas,” the settlement stated.
If Lysons challenges the finding and they can’t come to a resolution, the two sides can then go back to court - although both sides will try to keep that from happening.
“The parties agree that a simple ‘knock on the door’ to discuss any complaint that the parties may have concerning cigar smoke . . . would be preferable to continuing to litigate this matter,” the deal added. (ANI)
- NY couple sues neighbour for $500K over 'second-hand smoke' - Jan 17, 2011
- Cuba rolls 230 foot cigar - May 05, 2011
- Snoop Dogg to launch premium cigars - Jan 21, 2012
- Five dead in German hostage crisis (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Tendulkar's nomination Congress' dirtiest trick: Thackeray - Apr 29, 2012
- Working in 'A-team' got Liam Neeson hooked to cigar again - Jul 19, 2010
- Pa Man Facing Charges for Lighting Joint to Celebrate Child's Birth - Nov 11, 2010
- Cuban rolls 80 m long cigar - May 04, 2011
- Uma Thurman engaged in real life action to get her money back - May 30, 2010
- X Factor Season Premiere: Marcus Canton's Last Chance - Sep 22, 2011
- Becks exposed 'as a secret smoker' - Nov 28, 2009
- Willie Nelson offered freedom from jail if he pleads guilty, sang song - Mar 29, 2011
- Bus driver jailed for filming up skirts of schoolgirls - Jul 23, 2012
- Cruise demands significant contact with daughter - Jul 10, 2012
- Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich 'bonded' over affairs: Armey - Oct 29, 2010
Tags: amanda, bedroom condo, brandy, cigar smoke, dollar lawsuit, gentleman, good neighbour, hereto, lawyer, manhattan, neighbours, new york post, odours, plaintiffs, pleasures, smell test, smoke wafts, smoking cigars, stogies, street apartment