US library bans ‘offensive bodily odours’ from entering!April 15th, 2009 - 4:50 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 15 (ANI): An American library has banned people with ‘offensive bodily odours’ from using its facilities.
Because of an increase in homelessness along with the winter weather, large numbers of people are crowding into libraries during the day to stay warm.
Therefore, poor personal hygiene has joined the more familiar prohibitions at the Schaumburg Township District Library in suburban Chicago, such as running, talking loudly or carrying an uncovered drink.
According to Stephanie Sarnoff, the library’s director, the aroma would have to be so overpowering that it interfered with others’ use of the Schaumburg Township District Library.
Stephanie said that the decision was based on complaints from library users about a homeless person but claimed that it could just as easily apply to someone wearing too much perfume.
“People who use libraries are usually very understanding about the foibles of others,” The Telegraph quoted her, as telling the Chicago Tribune.
“So when one or more library users complain that another person’s hygiene is of such poor quality that it is prohibiting them from pursuing what they want to do, their problem becomes our problem,” she added. (ANI)
- Embarrassed by body odour? Here are some tips to get rid of it - May 07, 2011
- Male animals can 'smell' whether a potential partner is a virgin or not - Feb 13, 2011
- Justin Timberlake gets turned on by natural body odour of women - Aug 09, 2010
- 'Spy Kids' - a 4D movie you can smell - Jul 01, 2011
- Jennifer Aniston launches her new perfume line - Feb 04, 2011
- TV images to come alive with evocative aromas - Oct 21, 2010
- Sounds, smells help people learn while asleep? - Aug 27, 2012
- Jennifer Aniston Goes Topless For 'Lolavie' Perfume Ad - Jul 20, 2010
- Birds can smell kin, avoid inbreeding - Sep 23, 2011
- Romney scores decisive win in Illinois primary - Mar 21, 2012
- 'Gattu' delicately-threaded morality tale (IANS Movie Review) - Jul 19, 2012
- Perfume fair organized in Delhi - Mar 27, 2011
- Good manners are at the heart of good health - Jun 07, 2011
- You can sniff out others' age - May 31, 2012
- Indian-American doctor convicted of health care fraud - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: american library, aroma, chicago tribune, foibles, homeless person, homelessness, large numbers, library users, odours, perfume, poor personal hygiene, poor quality, prohibitions, sarnoff, schaumburg township district library, stephanie, suburban chicago, telegraph, township district library, winter weather