US lawmakers urge Musharraf to give full security to BenazirNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:48 am ICT by admin
They said that they are “troubled” by allegations of potential links between military or intelligence officials and extremist forces.
Any individual alleged to have been involved in past political action against Bhutto should be excluded from her security detail to dispel any suspicion of complicity, they added.
They also urged Musharraf not to use security concerns as a rationale for imposing a ban on political rallies in Pakistan.
They also asked Musharraf to accept US assistance in investigating last week’s blasts in Karachi, which targeted Bhutto.
“We urge you to refrain form using security concerns as a rationale for imposing a ban on political rallies,” Senators Joseph Biden, Joseph Lieberman and Patrick Leahy said.
“We believe that your government, like the governments of other nations afflicted by the scourge of terrorism, can adequately protect political leaders and their supporters without stifling the democratic process,” the Daily Times quoted them, as saying.
In a joint letter to Musharraf, delivered to the Pakistan Embassy in Washington, the senators urged the General to reconsider his decision not to accept outside assistance for investigating the Karachi blasts.
“If the resources of the US Government would be helpful in bringing the perpetrators of this terrible assault on innocent Pakistanis to justice, we stand ready to facilitate the provision of such resources in any way we are able to do so,” they said. (ANI)
- Musharraf and his men behind Bhutto killing: Pakistani scribe - Feb 17, 2011
- Musharraf's supporters in global protests against arrest warrant in Benazir murder case - Feb 18, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Musharraf included in Benazir murder investigation - Nov 23, 2010
- "No regrets" over 'adequate' security provided to Benazir: Musharraf - Sep 30, 2010
- Musharraf may be returning to his own grief: Daily - Jan 26, 2012
- UN blasts Musharraf government for Bhutto death (Lead) - Apr 16, 2010
- Why doesn't judiciary act against Musharraf in Benazir case: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Musharraf the 'murderer' of Benazir Bhutto: PPP Secy Gen - Oct 06, 2010
- Musharraf to defy Pak court's non-bailable arrest warrant in Benazir murder case - Feb 13, 2011
- Pak Govt to tap Interpol for Musharraf's return in BB murder case if court directs so - Feb 13, 2011
- Bhutto case: US journalist becomes witness - Sep 10, 2011
- "We know at whose house Benazir murder plot was hatched": Malik - Mar 13, 2011
- Don't put yourself in the line of fire, Daily tells Musharraf - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: benazir, bhutto, blasts, bomb proof, complicity, improvised explosive devices, intelligence officials, joseph biden, joseph lieberman, karachi, musharraf, pakistan embassy in washington, patrick leahy, political rallies, rationale, security concerns, security detail, senators, they said that they, urge