US Justice Department puts Pak-origin terror suspect on its wanted listDecember 16th, 2010 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
Washington/London, Dec. 16 (ANI): The US Department of Justice has put Manchester-based Pakistan-origin terror suspect Abdul Naseer on its wanted list after intelligence revealed that he was a part of an al-Qaeda plot to launch co-ordinated international bombings.
Lawyers are seeking to extradite 24-year-old Abid Naseer to the United States to stand trial over alleged plots to plant bombs in Manchester, New York and Norway.
According to the BBC, Naseer carried out reconnaissance and bought material for bombs, David Perry QC told Westminster Magistrates’ Court.
Naseer arrived in Britain on a student visa, and has denied all charges linked to the terror plot.
However, the court heard allegations he was targeting Manchester city centre, “most likely in the vicinity of St Ann’s Square or the Arndale Shopping Centre”.
Naseer was among a group of 10 Pakistanis arrested in April 2009 on suspicion of plotting a terror attack in the UK but nobody was charged.
Following his arrest, the Home Office failed to deport Naseer to Pakistan because a judge ruled his safety could not be guaranteed if he returned to Pakistan.
US authorities now want him to face trial for the role they claim he played in the alleged conspiracy to blow up targets in the three countries. (ANI)
- Pak student arrested in Britain charged for planning attacks in US - Jul 08, 2010
- Pakistani terror suspect held in Britain on US warrant - Jul 07, 2010
- India to seek extradition of 26/11 accused from US, Pakistan - Jan 30, 2012
- Pakistani men discussing girls were planning terror attack - Mar 10, 2010
- Pak terror accused student in UK seeks Chief Justice's help against extradition to US - Jul 10, 2010
- British court rules alleged terrorists may be tortured in Pakistan - May 18, 2010
- Court accepts 26/11 charges against Headley, 8 Pakistanis (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Pakistanis plotted to bomb British army base using toy car - May 01, 2012
- New York subway bomb plot hatched in Pakistan: US (Lead) - Jul 08, 2010
- 'Britain was involved in al-Qaeda man's torture in Pakistan' - Dec 01, 2010
- Ear-slicing Bulgarian to be deported from Britain - Sep 14, 2012
- Bali bomb-maker jailed for 20 years - Jun 21, 2012
- 26/11: NIA files charges against Headley, eight others (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Pak not pursuing Musharraf's extradition from UK: Rehman Malik - Feb 23, 2011
- Brit court blasts 'democratic' Pak for being subservient to military, intelligence - May 21, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, allegations, arndale shopping centre, bombings, bombs, department of justice, justice department, magistrates court, manchester city centre, manchester new york, naseer, pakistanis, reconnaissance, student visa, terror attack, terror plot, terror suspect, us department of justice, vicinity, wanted list