US judge refuses to order YouTube to take down anti-Muslim videoSeptember 21st, 2012 - 1:34 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Sep 21 (IANS) A Los Angeles judge Thursday refused to order YouTube to take down a controversial film clip, “The Innocence of Muslims”.
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Luis Lanvin ruled that Cindy Lee Garcia failed to show that she would likely prevail on the merits of her request, despite the actress’s claim that she was tricked into appearing in the inflammatory film, reported Xinhua citing the Courthouse News.
The YouTube clip has triggered violent anti-American riots and protests in more than 20 countries, and has led to at least 28 deaths, including the killing of US ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens.
Garcia filed a lawsuit to force Google to take down the video.
In her complaint Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, Garcia claimed that she was duped into acting in the “hateful anti-Islamic production”.
She accused filmmaker Nakoula Basseley Nakoula of misrepresenting the movie at casting and during filming in the lawsuit against Google, YouTube and Nakoula, also know as “Sam Bacile”.
Garcia claimed that Nakoula “intentionally concealed the purpose and content of the film”.
“There were no references made to religion nor was there any sexual content of which Garcia was aware. Bacile represented to her that the film was indeed an adventure film and about ancient Egyptians,” according to the lawsuit.
Calling the film “vile and reprehensible”, Garcia said her voice had been dubbed in Arabic, making her out to be a religious bigot.
But YouTube owner Google had opposed Garcia’s emergency request. Garcia’s lawyer Cris Armenta said Garcia would keep fighting to have it removed.
- Anti-Muslim video can stay on YouTube: US judge (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- US warns of more violence over anti-Islam video - Sep 14, 2012
- Pakistan blocks over 700 anti-Islam YouTube links - Sep 17, 2012
- `Sesame Street' channel cleansed of porn put by hackers - Oct 18, 2011
- Russia may block YouTube over anti-Islam video - Sep 18, 2012
- Chris Brown releases Don't Wake Me Up video - Jun 13, 2012
- Google has right to remove content, court told - Feb 02, 2012
- US on alert as protests over anti-Islam video spread (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- YouTube increases video upload limit to 15 minutes - Aug 01, 2010
- US teen's debut single 'Friday' goes viral for being worst pop song ever - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: adventure film, ancient egyptians, angeles superior court, armenta, bacile, cindy lee, controversial film, county superior court, courthouse news, emergency request, film clip, google, los angeles county, los angeles county superior court, los angeles superior court, religious bigot, sexual content, superior court judge, xinhua, youtube clip