US, India to sign arms deal worth Rs 10,700 croreMarch 17th, 2009 - 5:54 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 17 (ANI): India and US will ink arms deal worth Rs 10,700 crore as the United State has cleared the sale of eight Boeing Co P-8I maritime patrol aircraft.
The State Department told the US Congress that the clearance for the 2.1 billion dollar deal was given after factoring in ”political, military, economic, human rights and arms control considerations”.
The Indian Navy was the first international customer for the P-8I , a long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft. India chose it over several rivals, including EADS Airbus A319.
According to the deal, Boeing will supply the first aircraft in 48 months and continue to provide support equipment, requisite training and logistical support till June 2019, said the State Department.
According to Boeing, P-8I can work on land or water while performing anti-submarine warfare; search and rescue; maritime interdiction and long-range intelligence, surveillance and target acquisition.
The delivery of the first P-8I will take place in 48 months of sealing the deal and rest seven aircraft will be delivered by 2015.
Reportedly, the P-8I is alike to the P-8A Poseidon, which is being developed for the US Navy.
This is the largest arms sale by the US till now. In January 2008, the previous biggest arms deal was signed between the two countries. India gave green signal for the purchase of six C-130J Super Hercules transport aircraft, at an estimated cost of Rs 4,000 crore. (ANI)
- Boeing confirms P-8A Poseidon airframe's structural integrity - Jan 21, 2011
- Boeing receives $1.6 billion contract for initial production of P-8A Poseidon aircraft - Jan 26, 2011
- Boeing opens new Poseidon production facility - Nov 12, 2010
- Second Boeing plane for Indian Navy completes first flight (with images) - Jul 17, 2012
- Boeing begins assembly of India Navy's first P-8I aircraft (With Images) - Jun 22, 2011
- Fully-loaded reconnaisance plane for India begins flight tests (With Image) - Jul 11, 2012
- Boeing in $4.5 mn deal with HAL for P-8I weapons bay doors - Feb 11, 2010
- US clears $2.1 billion sale of naval patrol aircraft to India (Lead) - Mar 17, 2009
- Boeing plans $300 mn investment in Indian defence industry - Apr 13, 2011
- Indian designed sensors delivered to Boeing for P-8I aircraft (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Work begins on Indian Navy's 1st P8I patrol aircraft - Dec 08, 2010
- Boeing completes design review for India's naval warfare plane - Jul 26, 2010
- Boeing receives P-8I equipment from Bharat Electronics - Dec 23, 2010
- Boeing reconnaissance aircraft for Indian Navy completes first flight - Sep 29, 2011
- BAE Systems' mission computer for Indian Navy patrol aircraft - Mar 02, 2010
Tags: 8i, boeing co, c 130j, control considerations, dollar deal, eads airbus, economic human rights, hercules transport aircraft, indian navy, intelligence surveillance, interdiction, international customer, logistical support, maritime patrol aircraft, maritime reconnaissance, submarine warfare, target acquisition, us congress, us navy, worth rs