U.S. immigrant population reaches 40 millionOctober 8th, 2011 - 4:49 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) — The population of immigrants in the United States has grown to more than 40 million people, according to a study released by the New Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) on Friday.
The center’s analysis of Census Bureau data considered the nation’s both legal and illegal immigrant population, which is sometimes referred to as the foreign-born.
The 40 million immigrant population was calculated for the year 2010, which marks the highest number in U.S. history. During the last ten years, from 2000 to 2010, nearly 14 million new immigrants - legal and illegal - settled in the country. Three-fourths of immigrants in the country are legal.
The high numbers of immigrants has continued to increase throughout the years despite a net decline of jobs during the decade. Latin Americans accounted for 58 percent of the growth in the immigrant population during those ten years, with Mexico (29 percent) being the country with the most.
According to the analysis, the nation’s immigrant population has doubled since 1990, nearly tripled since 1980, and quadrupled since 1970 when it stood at 9.7 million. However, the center noted that new arrivals are offset by out-migration and deaths. As a result, the net increase in the immigrant population was more than 8.8 million over the last decade, from 31.1 million in 2000.
- 2010 Census Results Likely To Alter The State's Congressional Set Up - Dec 22, 2010
- One migrant a minute landed in the UK under Labour regime - Feb 22, 2011
- Native-born Americans lost jobs, but Asians, Indians did not - Oct 30, 2010
- By 2050, whites 'will be the minority race in US' - Mar 26, 2011
- Immigration rise may explain drop in violent crimes - May 15, 2010
- 2 Brit-Indians placed among 'migrants living in Britain doubles to 6.9m in 30 yrs' list - Dec 10, 2010
- One in eight people in UK foreign born - Apr 15, 2011
- White Britons will be a minority by 2066 if immigration continues in UK - Nov 18, 2010
- US population grows at slowest rate since 1940s - Dec 22, 2011
- New York, Washington, 44 other US cities not white any more - Apr 15, 2011
- US has nearly 11 mn illegal migrants; India major source country - Feb 26, 2011
- US had 11.5 mn undocumented immigrants in 2011 - Mar 26, 2012
- Can America fix its immigration system? (Washington Newsletter) - Dec 04, 2011
- Seniors are fastest growing segment of US population - Dec 01, 2011
- Indian illegal immigrants in US up 64 percent last decade - Feb 10, 2010
Tags: 1 million, bno, census bureau, census bureau data, deaths, decline, immigrant population, immigrants in the united states, immigration studies, jobs, last decade, last ten years, latin americans, mexico, migration, new arrivals, new immigrants, population of immigrants in the united states, washington d c