US hypersonic weapons threat to Russia: MinisterMay 11th, 2012 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 11 (IANS/RIA Novosti) US research into hypersonic weapons, which Washington aims to complete by 2015, represents an especially serious threat to Russia, acting Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Friday.
“This breakthrough decision by the US opens up for them the prospect of a transition from a demonstrator prototype to creation of a multirole hypersonic missile by 2015-2018,” Rogozin said.
Rogozin is responsible for the state-owned Raduga Bereznyak missile design bureau in Moscow.
The minister picked out the X-51, Falcon, HiFire and HyFly programmes as examples of the perspective threat posed by hypersonic development work.
“The undertaking of this work allows us to lay the basis for creation of a national competitor in hypersonic weapons,” he said.
Development of such a weapon should be discussed at the highest levels of state, he said.
India has also announced a joint project with Russia’s NPO Mashinostroeniye missile producer to build a hypersonic successor to its BrahMos supersonic cruise missile.
During the Soviet era, Raduga and NPO Mashinostroeniye both carried out research work in hypersonic weapons but did not produce a working weapon.
- Russia to build hypersonic missile - Sep 20, 2012
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version on - Oct 10, 2011
- Russia warns of destroying US missile shield - May 12, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
- India-Russia JV to fund hypersonic missile project - Aug 17, 2011
- Russia completes final trials of Indian frigate - Feb 08, 2012
- Malaysia plans to buy 18 more Russian fighter jets - Nov 15, 2011
- Indian Army inducts second cruise missile unit close to Pakistan border - Mar 04, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version to begin this year: Russian official - Jun 12, 2011
- Russia to build two space-defence missile plants - Feb 04, 2012
- Successful trial of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile - Aug 12, 2011
- Indian frigate sails for sea trials in Russia - May 24, 2012
Tags: acting, breakthrough, cruise missile, deputy prime minister, dg, dmitry rogozin, falcon, hyfly, India, missile design, moscow, national competitor, npo, perspective, prototype, raduga, ria novosti, russia, transition, undertaking