US House passes Pentagon budgetJuly 20th, 2012 - 8:17 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 20 (IANS) The US House of Representatives Thursday passed next year’s massive $607-billion defence bill.
The Republican-controlled House approved the measure in a 326-90 vote, after two days of debate and several amendments, Xinhua reported.
The bill increases Pentagon base funding by about $1 billion over the 2012 levels, to $519 billion, but cut war funding by $27 billion, to about $88.5 billion.
The House version of the Pentagon budget has to be reconciled with the Senate version before it could be presented to President Barack Obama for his signature.
The Democratic-controlled Senate has made clear its opposition to the House bill, saying it broke a spending deal reached last year.
The House bill is $3 billion above the Pentagon’s request, and $8 billion above the spending caps in last year’s Budget Control Act.
The Senate is unlikely to take up the bill until August.
Even if the Senate passes the bill, the White House has vowed to veto it in its current form.
Except for breaking the spending cap, the House bill also restored weapons programs Pentagon sought to terminate, and blocked cuts the Pentagon sought to make.
- 'Deficit reduction not by defence cuts alone' - Feb 29, 2012
- Americans face tax hike amid Congressional impasse - Dec 21, 2011
- US government shutdown averted with last minute deal - Apr 09, 2011
- White House threatens veto as Republican House defies Obama - Dec 14, 2011
- US Congress approves spending measure for Afghanistan - Jul 28, 2010
- US House passes massive defence budget - Dec 15, 2011
- US breaks Pentagon-Russian arms exporter ties - Jul 20, 2012
- U.S. Senators introduce legislation to give the President line-item veto authority - Jun 10, 2010
- Obama touts possible bipartisan pact on debt limit - Jul 20, 2011
- US House passes historic debt deal (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- US Congress extends tax cut, jobless benefits - Feb 18, 2012
- Department of Homeland Security - efficient bureaucratic behemoth or costly edifice - Mar 02, 2011
- Aid freeze no big deal: US to Pakistan (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- US House passes defence bill, kills F-22 - Jul 31, 2009
- Aid 'freeze' to Pakistan can bve waived: US - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: 1 billion, amendments, barack obama, budget control, caps, control act, defence bill, house of representatives, opposition, pentagon, pentagon budget, senate version, signature, us house of representatives, vote, weapons programs, white house, xinhua