US House impeaches judge over sexual assault chargesJune 20th, 2009 - 7:51 am ICT by IANS
Houston, June 20 (Xinhua) The US House of Representatives Friday voted unanimously to impeach a federal judge imprisoned for lying about sexual assault of two female court employees.
The vote on the impeachment of US District Court Judge Samuel B. Kent of Texas is the first such vote since the impeachment of former president Bill Clinton a decade ago, and Kent is the first US federal judge impeached in 20 years, media reports said.
The House overwhelmingly adopted four articles of impeachment against the 59-year-old jurist, who was accused of abusing his power as a judge by sexually assaulting two female court employees and lying about his conduct to a judicial inquiry by the FBI and the Justice Department.
Kent entered a federal prison in Massachusetts Monday to serve a 33-month sentence. He is the first US federal judge to serve prison sentence. He pleaded guilty last month to lying to judicial investigators about sexual assault of two female employees.
Kent, who has served in his post since 1990, is refusing to resign until next year so he can continue to draw his $174,000 annual salary.
The case was sent to the Senate for trial. If convicted of the impeachment charges in the Senate, Kent will be forced off the bench and cut off federal salary.
- U.S. Senate confirms Elena Kagan as 112th Supreme Court Justice of the U.S. - Aug 06, 2010
- Russian pilot jailed in US for drug trafficking - Sep 08, 2011
- Indian American jailed for sexual abuse on plane - Aug 16, 2011
- Judge to set the sentencing date for Rod Blagojevich soon - Aug 01, 2011
- Actress sent to jail for Green Card marriage - Apr 27, 2011
- Former Illinois Gov. Blagojevich sentenced to 14 years for corruption - Dec 08, 2011
- British soldier jailed for rape - Mar 10, 2012
- Strauss-Kahn blames Sarkozy for destroying his bid - Apr 28, 2012
- 'Infatuated' female officer in UK had sex with prisoner in his cell - Dec 11, 2010
- Indian-American treats wife as slave; gets away with probation - May 24, 2012
- Trial of former Israeli president Katsav resumes - Sep 01, 2009
- I did not kill Kercher: Knox tells court - Oct 03, 2011
- Court martial begins in US military base sex scandal - Jul 17, 2012
- Former US governor sentenced to 14 years in prison - Dec 08, 2011
- Indian-American fundraiser under US scanner - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: annual salary, articles of impeachment, bench, bill clinton, district court judge, federal judge, federal prison, federal salary, former president bill clinton, house of representatives, impeachment charges, investigators, judicial inquiry, jurist, justice department, president bill clinton, prison sentence, sexual assault charges, us house of representatives, xinhua