US homegrown Somali radicals back after terror missionMarch 20th, 2009 - 5:54 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 20 (ANI): Many of the Somali-American men who were recruited to join an al Qaeda-linked terrorist group have returned to the United States, but the FBI still has not revealed publicly if it is pursuing arrests in the case.
The FBI had warned that that the US is facing its most serious instance of domestic terrorism till now. A second generation of Somali immigrants are becoming increasingly radicalised and could pose a growing threat to security, according to US officials.
Al Qaeda radicalised a group of 20 young Somali American men who returned to their war-torn homeland
Some of the guys who were missing arent missing anymore. Some of them got blown up and some of them came back, and some of them are still there in Somalia, FOX News quoted a source, as saying.
For several months the FBI has been investigating at least 20 Somali-American men from the Minneapolis area who travelled to Somalia, where some of them trained and fought with an al Qaeda-linked terrorist group known as al-Shabaab, according to counter-terrorism officials.
Asked to characterize how many of those men are now back on American soil, the source would only say that several have returned.
Federal authorities believe the men went to Somalia to join al-Shabaab, which has been warring with the moderate Somali government since 2006.
Minneapolis has become the hub and the media focus of the FBIs investigation. But the FBI is casting a wide and growing net across the country, even in places hundreds of miles away from Minneapolis.
Testimony from counter-terrorism officials and others at the Senate hearing last week suggested that the FBI investigation is active in Columbus, Ohio; Cincinnati, Ohio; Boston; Seattle; and San Diego. (ANI)
- FBI may use jihadist video to solve Somali-American terror case - Apr 03, 2009
- Somalia-based al-Shabaab may attack US: FBI Director - Oct 03, 2009
- 89 Al-Shabaab terrorists held in Somalia - Jul 15, 2012
- Uganda bomb blast shows Al Shabaab's intent to attack the US homeland - Jul 13, 2010
- Somalian Al-Qaeda aligned terror outfit looking to recruit American citizens - Jun 07, 2010
- British Muslims on jehad trip to Somalia: WikiLeaks - Feb 04, 2011
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- American Al Qaeda holds rare news conference in Somalia - Apr 06, 2009
- Kenyan police nab over 130 immigrants - Jul 10, 2012
- Two American men plead guilty to terrorism conspiracy charge - Mar 04, 2011
- Kenya seals border with Somalia - Feb 12, 2012
- US homegrown Somali radicals posing most serious terror threat to America: FBI - Mar 14, 2009
- 40 Americans in Somali terror group: US senator - Jul 28, 2011
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- Yemeni terror offshoot now bigger threat to US than Osama's al-Qaeda group: CSIS - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, american men, american soil, cincinnati ohio, columbus ohio, domestic terrorism, fbi, fbi investigation, federal authorities, fox news, hundreds of miles, media focus, minneapolis area, radicals, second generation, senate hearing, somali government, somali immigrants, somalia, terrorist group