US hikers freed by Iran arrive in New YorkSeptember 26th, 2011 - 5:57 am ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 26 (IANS) Two US hikers who have been freed by Iran arrived in New York City Sunday, ending a political ordeal that lasted over two years between two countries, Xinhua reported.
Josh Fattal and Shane Bauer, who remained imprisoned in Iran since July 2009 on accusation of spying, were released from a Tehran prison Wednesday under a one-million-dollar bail.
At a news conference after landing in New York, the two men read out prepared statements before reporters.
“From the very start, the only reason we have been held hostage is because we are American,” said Fattal, adding that “Iran has always tied our case to its political disputes with the US.”
“However, the irony is that Sarah, Josh and I oppose US policies towards Iran which perpetuate this hostility,” said Bauer.
The two, along with another US national Sarah Shourd, were arrested in Iran July 31, 2009 for illegally entering Iran’s western border and were later charged with espionage.
The US government considered the charges totally unfounded.
The woman hiker — Sarah Shourd — was released by Tehran in September 2010 on a bail of $500,000 in consideration of her health condition.
- Iran summons freed US woman for trial - Feb 01, 2011
- Iran to release detained US hikers - Sep 13, 2011
- Iran sentences US hikers to eight years in jail - Aug 21, 2011
- Iran spied upon from centres in neighbouring countries: MP - Nov 10, 2011
- Jailed Americans in Iran get 20 days to appeal (Lead) - Aug 21, 2011
- Iran frees two US hikers - Sep 21, 2011
- US disappointed by Iran's sentencing of hikers: Clinton - Aug 22, 2011
- Muhammad Ali wants Iran to release the hikers - May 25, 2011
- Iranian foreign minister hopes for release of US hikers - Aug 07, 2011
- Iran summons freed U.S. hiker Sara Shourd for trial - Feb 01, 2011
- Iranian minister calls for trial of American hikers accused of espionage - Oct 17, 2010
- Iran denies arrest of American woman - Jan 07, 2011
- U.S. hikers' trial in Iran delayed - Nov 07, 2010
- Iran agrees to release female US hiker - Sep 12, 2010
- Iran approves release of U.S. citizens convicted of spying - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,