US hiker detained in Iran to be freedSeptember 10th, 2010 - 12:59 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Sep 9 (DPA) One of the three Americans jailed for more than a year in Iran will be released Saturday, Iranian government sources said Thursday.
The foreign press department of the culture ministry invited the media to the Esteqlal (former Hilton) hotel in northern Tehran for Saturday to cover the release of one of the three Americans.
It is not clear which one of the Americans would be released, but observers believe that it would be Sarah Shourd, who is reportedly ill.
Iranian authorities arrested Shourd, together with Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal, in July 2009 when they allegedly crossed an unmarked border into Iran while hiking in Iraq’s Kurdistan region.
Iranian Intelligence Minister Heydar Moslehi said last month that the case of the three American hikers would be closed soon with a verdict to follow shortly.
The three hikers’ mothers were allowed to visit them for the first time in May. But, despite raised hopes, there was no release on humanitarian grounds.
Tehran rejected a call by US President Barack Obama last month to release the three American hikers. Iranian officials said Obama would have no role in the legal process and his efforts for their release would remain futile.
The three hikers also face spying charges, but the Iranian foreign ministry said that the main charge against the three remained illegal entry into Iran. Espionage charges have not yet been fully confirmed and are still under investigation.
- Iranian minister calls for trial of American hikers accused of espionage - Oct 17, 2010
- Ahmadinejad wants US to release Iranians in return of hiker - Sep 18, 2010
- Iran agrees to release female US hiker - Sep 12, 2010
- Iran to release detained US hikers - Sep 13, 2011
- Iran summons freed US woman for trial - Feb 01, 2011
- Iran frees female US hiker - Sep 14, 2010
- Iranian foreign minister hopes for release of US hikers - Aug 07, 2011
- Iran sentences US hikers to eight years in jail - Aug 21, 2011
- Iran to release one of three US hikers held for over a year - Sep 10, 2010
- Iran summons freed U.S. hiker Sara Shourd for trial - Feb 01, 2011
- Iran spied upon from centres in neighbouring countries: MP - Nov 10, 2011
- Iran approves release of U.S. citizens convicted of spying - Sep 21, 2011
- Muhammad Ali wants Iran to release the hikers - May 25, 2011
- US hikers freed by Iran arrive in New York - Sep 26, 2011
- Iran releases U.S. hiker Sarah Shourd on bail - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: american hikers, barack obama, culture ministry, fattal, government sources, heydar, hilton hotel, humanitarian grounds, illegal entry, intelligence minister, iranian authorities, iranian foreign ministry, iranian government, iranian intelligence, iranian officials, kurdistan, kurdistan region, northern tehran, shane bauer, shourd