US has a very important relationship with India: White HouseJuly 27th, 2012 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, July 27 (IANS) Despite strident US media criticism of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over India’s slowing pace of reforms or opening up, the White House views its relationship with India as “very important.”
“We have a very important relationship with India,” White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters Thursday when asked about President Barack Obama’s opinion about Manmohan Singh in the light of a Time magazine cover story that dubbed him as an “underachiever”.
“I haven’t had that conversation with him,” Carney said when asked “What President thinks of India’s Prime Minister Manmohan Singh or his relationship with him?”
I mean, we have a very important relationship with India, as you know, but I haven’t had that conversation with him lately,” he added.
Dubbing Manmohan Singh as an “underachiever” the prestigious US magazine recently wondered whether the architect of 1991 economic reforms can rouse himself and put India back on the high growth path.
“Narrowing the gap between heightened expectations and the nation capacity to deliver, should be a job for the man who launched those expectations 21 years ago with such oratorical flourish,” Time said in the July 16 issue of its Asia edition.
“India can only wait to see if Singh can rouse himself, let alone prevail or overcome,” wondered the cover story with the blurb: “The Underachiever. India needs a reboot. Is Prime Minister Manmohan Singh up to the job?”
- Time wonders if 'underachiever' Manmohan can overcome (Third Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 08, 2012
- Time's criticism of PM reconfirms people's views: BJP - Jul 08, 2012
- Is Manmohan Singh Sonia's poodle, asks British daily - Jul 16, 2012
- Time magazine terms Manmohan Singh underachiever - Jul 08, 2012
- Time calls Manmohan an underachiever (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- BJP renews attack on prime minister - Jul 09, 2012
- Manmohan ineffectual, presides over corrupt government: US daily - Sep 05, 2012
- Time terms Manmohan an underachiever (Second Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Government counters BJP's Time magazine attack on PM - Jul 09, 2012
- Obama has `robust agenda' for India-US trade - May 13, 2011
- Don't give importance to foreign media about India: Congress - Sep 12, 2012
- Bal Thackeray terms PM 'politically impotent' - Jul 10, 2012
- US daily calls PM 'tragic figure', government wants apology (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- My statement on Congress, Rahul misinterpreted: Khurshid (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- US daily terms PM 'tragic figure', government wants apology (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: architect, asia edition, barack obama, blurb, carney, economic reforms, flourish, gap, growth path, manmohan, manmohan singh, media criticism, press secretary, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, reboot, time magazine cover, underachiever, white house press, white house washington