US gives green light to Boeing-India arms dealMarch 17th, 2009 - 11:56 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 17 (Xinhua) The US government has given the go-ahead to the $2.1-billion contract for Boeing Co. to supply eight P-8i long-range maritime surveillance planes to India, a media report said.
The US State Department has informed the Congress that it will issue a licence to Boeing so that it can complete the deal with India, the Washington Post reported Monday.
The contract is considered to be the largest US arms sale to India till date.
The department cited “political, military, economic, human rights and arms-control” factors in making this decision.
The deal surpassed the $1 billion deal in 2008 for the supply of six US C-130 transport aircraft to India.
Boeing said it will deliver the first P-8i by end-2012 or early-2013, with delivery of the remaining seven aircraft expected to be completed by 2015.
The deal also include spare parts, training and logistical services.
The P-8i, a derivative of Boeing 737-800, is a long-range anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft capable of broad area, maritime and littoral operations.
India is among the first batch of the buyers of the P-8i.
The US military is not yet equipped with the new plane but it plans to buy 108 in the coming years.
The first flight test is scheduled this year and initial operational capability is slated for 2013.
- Boeing confirms P-8A Poseidon airframe's structural integrity - Jan 21, 2011
- Boeing receives $1.6 billion contract for initial production of P-8A Poseidon aircraft - Jan 26, 2011
- Boeing opens new Poseidon production facility - Nov 12, 2010
- Boeing plans $300 mn investment in Indian defence industry - Apr 13, 2011
- Boeing begins assembly of India Navy's first P-8I aircraft (With Images) - Jun 22, 2011
- Second Boeing plane for Indian Navy completes first flight (with images) - Jul 17, 2012
- Fully-loaded reconnaisance plane for India begins flight tests (With Image) - Jul 11, 2012
- Indian designed sensors delivered to Boeing for P-8I aircraft (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Boeing shows off Poseidon, India is first global buyer - Jul 31, 2009
- Work begins on Indian Navy's 1st P8I patrol aircraft - Dec 08, 2010
- Indian Navy to induct 24 long range maritime reconnaissance aircraft - Dec 05, 2011
- US clears attack chopper, sophisticated radar, missiles for India - Jan 04, 2011
- Raytheon bags radar contract for India's maritime surveillance aircraft - Jul 19, 2010
- Boeing completes design review for India's naval warfare plane - Jul 26, 2010
- Boeing reconnaissance aircraft for Indian Navy completes first flight - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: boeing 737 800, boeing co, c 130, control factors, economic human rights, first flight, flight test, initial operational capability, intelligence surveillance, littoral operations, logistical services, maritime surveillance, new plane, reconnaissance aircraft, submarine warfare, surface warfare, surveillance planes, transport aircraft, us state department, washington post