US, France, Middle East concerned over Yemen becoming al-Qaeda base: WikileaksApril 10th, 2011 - 6:20 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 10 (ANI): The whistleblower website ‘Wikileaks’ has revealed the concerns of a number of countries like France, Qatar, Kuwait and Egypt that Yemen is becoming a stronghold base of the al-Qaeda.
Two influential French senators had earlier warned that there was still time to “save Yemen so that it does not become the next base for Al Qaeda,” while diplomats in Qatar, Kuwait and Egypt used words like “frightened” to highlight that al-Qaeda was flourishing as Yemen faltered, The Washington Post reports.
The strongest comment, however, came from Saudi Arabian officials who said that Yemen would become a more hospitable environment for terrorists than even Afghanistan, and that it was already so infested that it should be considered al-Qaeda’s “main home.”
The surge in demonstrations against Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh have heightened the U.S. concerns about his country, disrupting counterterrorism operations involving U.S. Special Operations forces, aerial surveillance from armed Predator aircraft and clandestine CIA operations.
The documents reveal a level of disagreement and dysfunction in U.S.-Yemeni counterterrorism efforts that helps explain why the campaign against al-Qaeda appears to have stalled after a series of early, high-profile strikes.
The cables also raised new questions about the United States’ reliance on Saleh, an autocrat who has been ruling Yemen since 32 years.
The cable issued by the U.S. Embassy in Sanaa last year noted that elite Yemeni counterterrorism units built with extensive American help to target al-Qaeda were instead being used by Saleh to subdue Houthi rebels in the country’s north. (ANI)
- US was told of Yemen leader's vulnerability two years ago: WikiLeaks cable - Apr 08, 2011
- Yemen diverted US counter-terrorism aid meant to tackle Al Qaeda: WikiLeaks - Dec 07, 2010
- US asks Yemeni president to hand over power - Jul 11, 2011
- 'Toppling of Yemen regime will aid Al-Qaeda increase terror plotting against US' - Apr 05, 2011
- Obama not pushing for Yemen president to go because of Al Qaeda threat: Experts - Mar 23, 2011
- MEA advises some Indians expats to leave Yemen - Mar 11, 2011
- Senior al-Qaeda member surrenders to authorities in Yemen - Jun 08, 2010
- Yemen protesters clash with police - Feb 13, 2011
- US sends drones to hunt for Al Qaeda in Yemen - Nov 07, 2010
- Yemen may witness signing of power transition plan Saturday - Apr 27, 2011
- Wikileaks disclose Yemeni President Saleh offered US 'open door' to attack al-Qaida - Dec 04, 2010
- Yemen offered US 'open door' to attack Al Qaida: WikiLeaks - Dec 04, 2010
- One more killed in Yemen unrest - Feb 21, 2011
- U.S. State Department designates al-Qaeda operative Othman Al-Ghamdi - Jun 17, 2011
- Al-qaeda 'thrives' in countries having weak governance: FBI - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,