US fomenting crisis in Middle East: IranNovember 4th, 2008 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Damascus, Nov 4 (IANS) Iran’s Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki has blamed the US for fomenting regional conflicts to make up for its failed Middle East policy, official IRNA news agency reported Tuesday.Mottaki, on a visit to Syria, told President Bashar al-Assad Monday that the recent air raid by the US on a Syrian village “was a sign of the US government’s weakness and antagonist regional policies and a desperate show of might to compensate its failed policy”.
Four US combat helicopters last week attacked a village at Syria’s Deyr al-Zour province killing eight civilians, including five members of a family, and wounding a number of villagers.
Mottaki delivered a message to Assad from Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, expressing Tehran’s solidarity with Damascus. The message also stated Iran’s stand on the situation in Iraq, Lebanon and the Israeli-occupied Palestinian territories.
The Iranian foreign minister, whose country is Syria’s key regional ally, later told reporters his visit was a sign of “the solidarity of the Iranian people with the Syrian people after the American raid”.
There was no comment from the Pentagon on the air raid but an official in Washington has said the attack targeted a top militant who smuggled arms and fighters into Iraq.
Syria protested the US action at the UN Security Council and called it a “cold-blooded war crime”.
US commanders say Syria is the main transit point for foreign militants crossing into Iraq and have accused Damascus of turning a blind eye to the problem.
Officials in Damascus were indignant at Washington’s remarks after the incident, with the Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem saying: “We consider this a criminal and terrorist aggression”.
- Arab League adopts sanctions against Syria - Nov 28, 2011
- Iran stresses support to Syria - Aug 27, 2012
- Iran rejects foreign intervention in Syria - Aug 08, 2012
- Syria's Assad unveils new government - Jun 23, 2012
- Syria, Iran waive visas as leaders meet in Damascus - Feb 25, 2010
- Gas pipeline blown up in Syria - Mar 24, 2012
- India, US to brainstorm on Syria, Iran - Aug 16, 2012
- UN mission finds 13 bodies in Syria - May 30, 2012
- Iranian parliamentary delegation in Syria for talks - Aug 26, 2012
- India listens in on Iran conference on Syria - Aug 09, 2012
- Oil pipeline blown up in Syria - Apr 22, 2012
- Assad orders formation of new government - Jun 06, 2012
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- 'Annan to visit Iran for Syria talks' - Apr 05, 2012
- US, Israel responsible for Syrian insecurity: Iran - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, iranian foreign minister, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, mahmoud ahmadinejad, manouchehr mottaki, occupied palestinian territories, president bashar, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, terrorist aggression