US flight makes emergency landing due to unruly passengerOctober 19th, 2011 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Houston, Oct 19 (IANS) A domestic Southwest Airlines flight made an emergency landing in a Texas town Tuesday afternoon after a male passenger attempted to break into the cockpit, authorities said.
The crew of Southwest’s Flight 3683 from Los Angeles to Kansas City asked for emergency clearance to land in Amarillo, Texas, after the passenger confronted the crew, aviation chief Patrick Rhodes told reporters.
Ali Reza Shahsauri, a 29-year-old US citizen, was arrested on a charge of interference with a flight crew and turned over to federal authorities for questioning, reported Xinhua.
None of the 136 passengers and five crew members aboard the flight was injured, said Brad Hawkins, spokesman for Dallas, Texas-based Southwest Airlines.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) were involved in the investigation, with TSA spokeswoman Sarah Horowitz saying information was still being gathered on the incident. The FBI said initial probe found that the unruly passenger had no terror intent.
The plane departed for its scheduled destination after a security sweep, officials said.
- JetBlue captain goes berserk on flight, subdued by passengers - Mar 29, 2012
- US airlines captain gives mid-air scare to passengers - Mar 28, 2012
- Southwest Airlines grounds dozens of planes after in-flight fuselage rupture - Apr 02, 2011
- U.S. FAA issues emergency directive for extra inspections of several Boeing 737 models - Apr 05, 2011
- Plane diverted after passenger found smoking - Aug 06, 2010
- Authorities investigate 'security concern' aboard US Airways aircraft - Oct 08, 2010
- Air India flight makes emergency landing in Pakistan (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 09, 2012
- One held after small blast on Miami airport tarmac - Dec 29, 2010
- 12 hurt as US flight hits turbulence - Apr 05, 2012
- Turkish Airways plane goes off runway in Mumbai during heavy rainfall - Sep 03, 2011
- Air India flight turbulence leaves passengers injured, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- Air India relief plane returns, India lauds Pakistan's help but passengers miffed (Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- Spicejet flight makes precautionary landing - Apr 13, 2012
- Air India relief plane returns, India lauds Pakistan's cooperation (Evening Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Southwest Airlines Fined $200,000 - May 01, 2010
Tags: ali reza, amarillo texas, brad hawkins, cockpit, crew members, emergency landing, federal authorities, federal bureau of investigation, flight crew, horowitz, initial probe, investigation fbi, security sweep, southwest airlines, southwest airlines flight, transportation security administration, tsa, tuesday afternoon, unruly passenger, xinhua